Cost to Refill Tub

Methuselah

May 9, 2022
Alabama
Moved from here.

My first post - great, no intro but I'm reading through (lurking) seeing many times folks say dump the water it's cheap. I do hate to appear like I'm sharpshooting, heckling, trolling, being arbitrary, nitpicky, or just plain trying to start something - however, that said, it's not just a couple bucks worth of water.

I agree, new hot tub, water in there 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, if there's an issue then a restart may be the easiest way to address it. User load, exposer to sunlight or "nature", sanitation method and "timeliness" also fit into the equation --- with that equation being do I start over(?). Also must agree starting over may end up being the best economy too...

Here's my math for cost of refill:

$ .1054 per Kw Hr.

3.5° / hr.
Start 50°
End 100°

Hours: (100 - 50) / 3.5 = 14.29

Kw:
Heater 4Kw
Motor: 3.5A X 240V = 840W
Kw (total) = 4.84
Kw Hrs: 69.14

Electrical Cost: $7.29

Water Cost: $4.48/1000 gallons, 515 gallons = $2.31

Chemicals:
Dichlor "Great Value" wallyworld: $39.88 X 1.09 (tax) per 6# Used 4 oz: $1.81
(this may be the cheapest but I don't need that much so will pay more for smaller "name brand" packaging)
Ahh!-Some: $32.95 +tx. for 2 oz (12 Teaspoons), use at least 4 Tsp = $11.97

Labor: Your call

Total Cost: $23.38

This does not include chemicals used for filter and tub shell cleaning, nor investment
in equipment for filter cleaning and possibly pumping out the water.

As for me, my tub's running about a month, has some learning curve stuff going on, and my previous experience from about 7 years maintaining various AG pools a decade ago hasn't been a ton of help (especially when you factor in ozone, jet/circulation pumps that won't run more than 15 minutes when started, filter pleats SOOO densely packed, and total bewilderment what gets left behind when MPS has "expended").

Oh well, not sure this being 1st post if it "rises to the top" or sits where it was ... maybe this will never be seen so I'm going to stop typing just because it's a 9 month+ old thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing your analysis and putting some data around the “dump your water” recommendations.

Ahhsome does not need to be used every time you dump a tub. It needs to be done when a tub is new (or purchased used and of unknown condition) and then perhaps once per year for a residential tub with a common set of bathers (aka, single family). Using Ahhsome all the time is not good. They do make a daily purge product that you can add weekly (I think?) but I’m not convinced it’s totally necessary. So I would still say dumping a tub is cheaper and easier than spinning your wheels trying to save month’s old water.

That said, everyone is free to experiment with their own routines to maximize cost savings and enjoyment. Once hot tubs and pools become “drudgery” they stop being recreational, aka “fun”. So do whatever you need to keep the tub “fun” …

The way I see it - chemical costs are a wash. You are going to spend at least that much futzing around trying to get your tub back in balance and clean if it has gotten to the point where could use a water change.

So that leaves about $10 for electricity and water.

It takes me a little over an hour to change my water, often while doing other things in the area (cleaning up stuff, weeding, etc).

My biggest complaint about changing water is unless I do it early in the AM, it is not going to be up to temp to use that evening.

Reactions: cranbiz
I'm again not trying to argue - but am so far seeing predominately two "groups" seeking or receiving advice on whether or not to dump and start over. They appear to be newly started and high CC or newly started but researching and have already dumped the water.

Advice to dump and start over may not dominate but on the occasions it does a decent percentage state it's only a couple bucks worth of water, hence my premise for posting.

With the observation that consideration or advice circled around new starts I included the price of a purge but yes, it's separate and yes it can be backed out of "the equation", though I would not back out the CYA related cost.

I'm one of those newbies struggling with an issue or three and eyeing that equation. One consideration not listed is pride and stubbornness, not wanting to admit defeat or throw in the towel.

That said, yes it's a struggle I could have avoided, but on the flip side what, dump at 5-6 weeks, don't learn, dump every 5-6 weeks? These thoughts do weigh in (or I just worry myself too much!).

YOU ARE THE EXPERTS, so I will defer to your advice and state unequivocally that any other newbies reading this given advice to dump should do so. However I do think they deserve to know it's going to cost a little more than two bucks : -)

I'm again not trying to argue - but am so far seeing predominately two "groups" seeking or receiving advice on whether or not to dump and start over. They appear to be newly started and high CC or newly started but researching and have already dumped the water.

Advice to dump and start over may not dominate but on the occasions it does a decent percentage state it's only a couple bucks worth of water, hence my premise for posting.

With the observation that consideration or advice circled around new starts I included the price of a purge but yes, it's separate and yes it can be backed out of "the equation", though I would not back out the CYA related cost.

I'm one of those newbies struggling with an issue or three and eyeing that equation. One consideration not listed is pride and stubbornness, not wanting to admit defeat or throw in the towel.

That said, yes it's a struggle I could have avoided, but on the flip side what, dump at 5-6 weeks, don't learn, dump every 5-6 weeks? These thoughts do weigh in (or I just worry myself too much!).

YOU ARE THE EXPERTS, so I will defer to your advice and state unequivocally that any other newbies reading this given advice to dump should do so. However I do think they deserve to know it's going to cost a little more than two bucks : -)

I don't think the advice to do a water change is given because it is the cheapest, but because it is a viable option, unlike with a pool. To do a water change in my pool is a massive, multi-day affair. To do a water change in my hot tub from start to finish (with a cleaning of the jet packs, shell, and filters) is 2 to 2.5 hours from beginning to drain to walking away and letting it heat. It is something that is not out of the realm of a reasonable path. Yes, you are correct, it is not as cheap and easy as some make it out to be, but it is a reasonable option.

I don't think the advice to do a water change is given because it is the cheapest, but because it is a viable option, unlike with a pool. To do a water change in my pool is a massive, multi-day affair. To do a water change in my hot tub from start to finish (with a cleaning of the jet packs, shell, and filters) is 2 to 2.5 hours from beginning to drain to walking away and letting it heat. It is something that is not out of the realm of a reasonable path. Yes, you are correct, it is not as cheap and easy as some make it out to be, but it is a reasonable option.
Totally agree, well put. Wish I'd have said that :)

Reactions: phonedave
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.