Cost to build a pool in North Texas?

The only other quote that I would consider came from Foley and they offered $105k to build a pool + spa. Pool surface area is 566sqft, size 37' x 18'. Same depth. Different equipment brands and such, but much bigger pool for an additional $14k or so. They also quoted $96k for the same design but smaller: 31' x 18', surface area 437sqft. Overall I feel like Foley has given me "more bang for the buck" even though the price is overall higher. You get more pool for the money, it seems.

Honestly it's been more of a struggle to get pool salespeople to keep in touch with me and give me updates on the progress of their designs/quotes than it has been deciding between bids. Over half of my contacts haven't even given me a bid after several months. This includes Chris at ADG, Robertson Pools, and Collin Bryan. They're all very bad at communication, despite the great reviews I've received from direct messages people have sent me on this forum.

This whole process has been nothing but expensive and frustrating, and I haven't even started construction yet. I can't imagine what a sh** show that's going to be if this keeps up.
We had about 7 bids in total, but yes not one of them ever followed back up with me, I had to follow back up with them. We settled with J Caldwell Custom Pools at $102k Poo/Spa with a fire pit. Most of the bids were in the upper 90's

FWIW, we built in NTX last summer and the quotes don’t seem that far fetched to to me now. Last year of course, I had sticker shock too.

I started getting quotes around October 2020 for my pool. I attempted to get six quotes but I had several PBs flat out turn me down. Ended up with three PBs coming out to bid but only one company was good about communicating and follow up.

My pool is in the mid $70s but it’s basic/simple compared to yours. Also doesn’t include sprinkler rebuild, gates, taking/putting up fence, or sod. So much cheaper to do it yourself or hire a non PB to do.

Last edited:
Hello,

Some of you folks have been a huge help the past few months with a few questions I've had about building a new pool. I'm still in the process of getting quotes from various pool companies to have a pool built for my home in North Texas. I will provide a link below to my latest one. Could anyone share thoughts on it? I am not sure if the equipment I'm getting is good, or if there are changes I should request.

The pool itself is under 10k gallons and is up to 5' deep. I feel like the pool is pretty small, but it could be lack of volume rather than perimeter size (there's a deck area inside the pool for chairs, it's not super deep, etc). This is a chlorine pool, not salt. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Click here for the quote
We are waiting for our dig date now (🤞 it will be in the next week or so), so my input is as someone who just finished the builder selection process. This quote is pretty inline with what I got from the builders I spoke with. I’m located in Irving, so not too far from you in Dallas. We chose the same shape as what is in your link, but we didn’t add a spa. The pool does seem a bit small to me, but it only matters that it gives you the ability to enjoy it the way that you want. We originally wanted a tanning ledge, but then I decided that I can tan on the decking, but I can’t swim on the decking so I wanted that space for play. I have 2 kids & nieces & nephews so it made more sense for us & our family to have a sport pool with as much space as possible. We like to play as well as lounge in the pool! As someone mentioned, a spa will add 15-20k to your build (approximately) so the price you have is about right.

My builder also uses Hayward products & he had us down for in-line chlorine feeder, etc but we switched to a SWG due to research & friend’s that have pools that enjoy SWG.

Building in Houston here. We got our quote October 2020. Getting gunite next week. Pool dig started Feb 2nd. We just have to be patient, materials and a backlog/ shortage of gunite has pushed everybody back. Then Texas froze over and delayed us further. It is, what its is. In October they told us 4-6 weeks start to finish once they started digging. It has been 5 weeks and we are expecting gunite next week.

Calling the builder wont make it happen any faster. *sigh* Good luck on your pool build, I look forward to watching your progress!

Right now I’m waiting 2 more weeks for the rest of the plumbing, 3-5 for electrical, and 3-5 for tile and coping. When our hoa approved us the PB said it would take 4 weeks of waiting for excavation and the total timeline was going to be 14-16 weeks from date of excavation.

• Wow
Reactions: colleenbevans

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We upgraded to a SWCG, added some cement, upgraded to pebble plaster instead of quartz. I was tempted on the tile.
In addition to the patio cover I have been tempted to upgrade our pebble to a smaller/smoother pebble. I haven’t asked for a quote yet because I know I probably will do it if I do...

With all the talk about pricing, I thought I would chime in with what I’m paying for a spa add-on. The add-on is 7 seater spa to my ~24k 30.5k gallon pool, with armrest, multi-level seating to accommodate different heights of people, 18” raised ledge around spa, replacement of all coping, demo and repour of 25’ by 3.5’ of pool deck, inner stone ledge about 2.5’ by 25’, and tile at water level, 5’ of deck around spa, 400k btu heater, new pool equipment pad with enclosure (in gunite), 6 hydrotherapy jets, spa LED, Hayward 2.7hp VSP, spa blower pump, and some kind of smart app control equipment box (removing old school timer).

Total cost is ~$41K by my pool builder in DFW. I got the proposal in January and they just started work last week. I’m unsure if that price is decent or not, but others were saying $25-50k was the usual range. So far my PB has been a pleasant to work with.

Last edited:
With all the talk about pricing, I thought I would chime in with what I’m paying for a spa add-on. The add-on is 7 seater spa to my ~24k gallon pool, with armrest, multi-level seating to accommodate different heights of people, 18” raised ledge around spa, replacement of all coping, demo and repour of 25’ by 3.5’ of pool deck, inner stone ledge about 2.5’ by 25’, and tile at water level, 5’ of deck around spa, 400k btu heater, new pool equipment pad with enclosure (in gunite), 6 hydrotherapy jets, spa LED, Hayward 2.7hp VSP, spa blower pump, and some kind of smart app control equipment box (removing old school timer).

Total cost is ~$41K by my pool builder in DFW. I got the proposal in January and they just started work last week. I’m unsure if that price is decent or not, but others were saying $25-50k was the usual range. So far my PB has been a pleasant to work with.
$41k just for the spa? Also, curious about the hydrotherapy jets-we'd like those but talking to pool builders they all seem to just say jets..

$41k just for the spa? Also, curious about the hydrotherapy jets-we'd like those but talking to pool builders they all seem to just say jets..
Well it was $39.5k but then I decided to upgrade pump to Hayward 2.7HP VSP plus re-doing all the coping, tile, and interior pool stone wall ledge. Those weren’t necessary for the Spa. Regarding the jets, I didn’t specify wanting a particular type of jet… that’s just what my paperwork states they are called.

The only thing I made clear to the builder is that my family wanted a spa and I really could care less about anything fancy. “So long as it looks like it matches the pool and works, I’ll be fine.”

Reactions: Indeeph2o
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.