Richland Center, WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Solaxx (Saltron) Reliant / Purechlor R5
We are considering moving to a more southern climate in the semi-near future. The housing market is an absolute mess right now. Originally we were hoping to find a place with a nice pool and build a pole barn since you rarely find both on the same property. This is proving to be a huge challenge. I am trying to get an idea of what it would look like to do the reverse. We currently have a 15x30x52 above ground at our place in WI. I know we would like something larger and deeper but doesn't need to be massive. We definitely need steps vs a ladder. Looking for something "nice" but not extravagant. Easy to maintain and good automation for sure. Definitely want it to be salt as our current pool is a breeze to maintain. patio material can be anything. Don't need slides or diving boards. We would like a spa that could be used year round but maybe a separate "deck spa" would be better there? Plain rectangle would be fine. Don't need ledges or anything fancy. Just solid. What should we budget for something like this? We would pick a property with this project in mind so there shouldn't be any crazy landscaping, walls, or access issues.

Cost for an inground pool vary widely depending on Pool Builder competition and how hungry the Builder and trades are.

In any area you are looking I would inquire as to who builds pools and how many Pool Builders may give you quotes.

Inground pools seem to be costing $80,000 to $150,000 or more.

@setsailsoon has been chronicling the costs of his owner build in this thread...

Reactions: JupiterFL
n,

Down South is a pretty big place... :mrgreen:

The fact that you want a pole barn means that you most likely will be in a rural area and not in a city. That should make house pricing a little less but the bigger the property, the more it will cost.

Pool wise, it depends on how far out of a city you are, as most pool builders are not located in rural areas.

I think the Allen's pricing of $80 to $150K is about right for a gunite pool in today's market.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: JJ_Tex
+1 on the $80k to $150k

In my area (Dallas suburbs) you would be hard pressed to get a basic gunite pool under $100k, which is about double what it would have cost 5-6 years ago... the same goes for cars and most other big ticket items.

Good luck on your move somewhere "more south than Wisconsin" :)

The costs have gone way up. It used to cost around $25,000 to $50,000. Now you are looking at $80,000 to $150,000.

We are considering moving to a more southern climate in the semi-near future. The housing market is an absolute mess right now. Originally we were hoping to find a place with a nice pool and build a pole barn since you rarely find both on the same property. This is proving to be a huge challenge. I am trying to get an idea of what it would look like to do the reverse. We currently have a 15x30x52 above ground at our place in WI. I know we would like something larger and deeper but doesn't need to be massive. We definitely need steps vs a ladder. Looking for something "nice" but not extravagant. Easy to maintain and good automation for sure. Definitely want it to be salt as our current pool is a breeze to maintain. patio material can be anything. Don't need slides or diving boards. We would like a spa that could be used year round but maybe a separate "deck spa" would be better there? Plain rectangle would be fine. Don't need ledges or anything fancy. Just solid. What should we budget for something like this? We would pick a property with this project in mind so there shouldn't be any crazy landscaping, walls, or access issues.
N,
Alan's range is close to what I've seen in our Florida market. It's difficult to answer your question without getting a little more specific. Very simple, and smallest size can still be in the $50K range if you call simple less than 8,000 gal. To me minimum size for an in ground pool would be 12000 gal with spa and heater. You can't get this right now under $70000 in my area and project completion would be a year out. The market is so volatile the only way to know is to do a real market inquiry. This takes some effort and it's the only real way to know. A LOT of prices have started to come down. Some have gone up. Concrete and steel is finally dropping but labor continues to rise. If you're looking for best price I would work up a specification for the pool yourself before you meet with bidders. Start with your absolute minimum. Then rank the add-ons and prioritize them like this:
  1. A little bigger
  2. Spa
  3. Fancier finish
  4. Heater
  5. Other
Make the list at least 10 items long. Then give each a score of 1 to 5. Make sure you use all the scores. Force yourself to do this. After that specify 3 different pools: small, medium, large. Then identify 3-4 builders and pre-qualify them using references, experience building your kind of pool and get a copy of their standard contract. It takes time and effort but it's often more important than the features/design to have a final satisfactory result. There's more on this in our Wiki.

Do all this before you spend time with a single builder. You should to control process and avoid getting talked into one builder before you see what others have to offer. Many feel intimidated because they lack a lot of knowledge so they fall into the trap of letting a contractor help them too soon. This often works out badly. Not everybody is a pool design expert for sure. But most can educate themselves enough to at least figure out how to spec the job and work most effectively with a good builder. Once you've made up your mind about what you like then by all means do listen to the builders.

If OB is an option for you there is ~30% savings is available. But it does take more work than you may think. In the hot markets the savings can be more.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.