Correct Sequence to Repair PVC Pool Piping

Oct 23, 2016
Roseville, CA
I have a 3 foot section of 1.5" PVC in my pool plumbing that I need to replace. It's a tight fit, so I'd like to get advice on the best way to tackle.

The left side of this run is fixed (the elbow is glued onto the section of pipe coming out of the valve).

The right side is connected to an adapter going into the pump housing and is removable (male-threaded adapter).

As you can see in the picture, the union is not effective because the two runs of pipe are not at the same height.

I am planning on removing and replacing everything from the union to the adapter, but I want to do it in the right sequence to allow for enough room for a clean fit.

Should I follow the same approach as shown in the picture (adapter to 45 degree to 45 degree to union), or is there a better way to configure this?Waterfall PVC.jpg

One idea is to go from left to right as follows
Remove the union as you described.
Add a coupling, then a straight piece then a 90 deg elbow, This way everything is the same height and can be level.
Then vertically from the elbow space out a straight, and a union. The bottom half of the union can be threaded to screw into the exit port of the pump. If you do not have a threaded half union but a slip type, then use a new adapter then the union above it, then a straight to the elbow.
Suggest you dry fit all first and assemble to ensure all aligns.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.