Correct pump size?

Jun 6, 2017
Matawan/NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good afternoon from New Jersey! I have an oval partially sunk above ground pool that is
38‘x18’x52” with approx 18,400 gallons of water. ( I used the TFP calculator). I have a 20” sand filter.
My Doughboy Powerline XP 1.5 HP pump failed last season. I just bought a Hayward Powerflo LX with a HP of 1.5 SPL (70 GPM). Model#W3SP1580X15 . Is this a good fit? It seems to run good. Thank you!

Last edited:
Java, seems to me like a good match and should work well. If you have any other questions let us know.
Good morning! One other question. My new pump has 1 1/2” fittings that I needed adapters for in order to attach my 1 1/2” flexible hose. My sand filter also has 1 1/2” fittings. The adapters I bought have an end that screws into the pump fittings and another end as a nipple to fit inside the flexible hose. The nipple has two sections - a 1 1/4” and up further a 1 1/2”. I didn’t realize this at first so I was like “how the heck am I gonna attach my 1 1/2” flexible hose to this 1 1/4” nipple?” Then I realized that if I just pushed the hose all the way on the fitting I was good to go.
Any harm in using these fittings that are for both 1 1/2” and 1 1/4” flexible hose? I heard you should always try and match your hose/fittings.
Thank you again!

As long as you have secure, air-tight connections it should be okay. Maybe you could post a pic or two of everything so we can see to be sure?
Ok cool. Thank you! Here’s some pics. I just realized I need another worm clamp on the connection from my pump to filter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 3
I'm not a big fan of the clamps, but in some situations they simply make sense. I don't have a concern for the skimmer connection, but would be more concerned about the connections on the pressure side for that very reason - pressure. I know you're oignt to add a clamp to that one pic/item, but make sure those things are secure and won't slip-off at any point. That would ruin your day. @cowboycasey any tips?

Ok cool. Thank you! Here’s some pics. I just realized I need another worm clamp on the connection from my pump to filter.
I'm not a big fan of the clamps, but in some situations they simply make sense. I don't have a concern for the skimmer connection, but would be more concerned about the connections on the pressure side for that very reason - pressure. I know you're oignt to add a clamp to that one pic/item, but make sure those things are secure and won't slip-off at any point. That would ruin your day. @cowboycasey any tips?
Excellent. That would would Definitely ruin my day! Thanks again man!

it looks like you have it working.. If you want to in the future or if it starts leaking you can easily go to hard pipe with your setup... They are all 1.5 inch on the pump, filter and skimmer and I do believe the returns also.. You can use 1.5 inch high temp unions on all of it and make your life easy.. :)

This one is 1.5 inch hard pipe https://smile.amazon.com/RWParts-Pack-MPTX1-5-HI-Temp-Union/dp/B07G7HH87J

This one is 2 inch hard pipe Amazon.com: CMP 1.5In Mip X 2Ins Long Union S-S (High-Temp): Garden & Outdoor

I used these and in 9 years now they have not leaked :)

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.