Nebraska
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Quick Question, what should the pool water lever be for Cover Star Auto Cover the make it thru a Nebraska Winter

Also if I could get some of you pool veterans to look over what I have done so far and include your input would be great.

First timer ever winterizing my pool here is what i have done so far.

I drained below the return lines
Blew out return lines
Installed Plugs with Teflon Tape in all Returns
Blew out Skimmer lines
Blew out Line leading to pool slide
Installed Gizmos in all Skimmers
Blew Air thru main drain and closed Main Drain Valve while blowing air to create an Air Lock
Pulled plugs on all pool pump
Pulled plugs on Heat pump
Emptied Filter
Removed Filters, Cleaned Filters and replaced
Removed, Cleaned and brought Salt Water Generator inside, wrapped pipes for SWG with Duct Tape to keep rhodents out

My question is this
I have a Cover Star auto cover, how much water do add back to the pool in order for the cover to safely make it thru a Nebraska winter. I realize that a Spring Cover would be best, however I don't have one but will be getting one next year.

After you winterize your pool and before you cover it, you need to make sure that the water level in the pool is filled to the normal operating level or even a little bit higher. This high water level is what supports the snow and ice throughout the winter, so it’s a critical step that you don't want to skip.

A rule of thumb to remember: keep the water at least halfway up your skimmer opening.

Reactions: newdude
Quick Question, what should the pool water lever be for Cover Star Auto Cover the make it thru a Nebraska Winter

Also if I could get some of you pool veterans to look over what I have done so far and include your input would be great.

Blew out return lines
Blew out Skimmer lines
Blew Air thru main drain and closed Main Drain Valve while blowing air to create an Air Lock
Emptied Filter
Removed, Cleaned and brought Salt Water Generator inside, wrapped pipes for SWG with Duct Tape to keep rhodents out

My question is this
I have a Cover Star auto cover, how much water do add back to the pool in order for the cover to safely make it thru a Nebraska winter. I realize that a Spring Cover would be best, however I don't have one but will be getting one next year.
I’m

Blew out return lines
Blew out Skimmer lines
Emptied Filter

My question is this
I’m in Nebraska also. Looks like we have similar size pools as far as gallons. My pool is 20’x40’. I also have an auto cover.

I try to keep the water level as high as possible to hold the cover up and not sag down. If the water level gets too low and you get snow or rain on top of the cover it could possibly damage the cover if it sags with a low water level. I just closed my pool today and water level is about 2” to the top of the skimmer.

It looks as if you’ve done everything I do to close for winter. Do you use an aqua door snap on cover over the pool skimmer? I use them but it does not keep water out of the skimmer. I do not thread a gizmo into the bottom of the skimmer anymore. I now plug the lines in the bottom of the skimmer and fill skimmer full of pool noodles and empty bottles or a gizmo to take up the expansion of frozen water in the skimmer.

This has been my closing technique for 13 years and haven’t had a problem yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.