Correct plug? 230V 15A pump circuit

larrybbaker

Apr 21, 2020
South Central PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Is there a code or standard plug for a pool pump motor plug? Bought a house with a pool - motor outdated, had been rebuilt once and getting noisier so I am replacing that - now would be the time to correct the plug/outlet if it has to be. Current cord has a flat blade grounded plug into a single matching outlet.

Cord length is 3-4 feet max. Timer is inside the house at the circuit box/breaker panel.

Thanks!

The pump on a GFCI CB?

Code used to require a locking plug like...

1) Pool Pump Receptacle (Outlet) and Wiring Method
A. If a pump motor receptacle is located between 6’ – 10’ from the inside pool wall, the receptacle must be a single twist-lock outlet, grounded, and GFCI protected. Maximum flexible cord length for pump is 3 Ft.
B. Receptacle must have a weatherproof cover that can be closed when the cord is plugged in. (In-use type/bubble cover)
C. Circuit for the pump motor shall not be less than #12 AWG insulated copper grounded wire, and must be in conduit. (Except when within a building the wire can change to NM) (Cannot use NM wire in underground conduits)
D. Conduit
I. PVC – All PVC conduit must be buried at least 18” deep II. Metal – All Rigid Metal Conduit must be at least 6” deep

Reactions: larrybbaker
The pump on a GFCI CB?

Code used to require a locking plug like...

1) Pool Pump Receptacle (Outlet) and Wiring Method
A. If a pump motor receptacle is located between 6’ – 10’ from the inside pool wall, the receptacle must be a single twist-lock outlet, grounded, and GFCI protected. Maximum flexible cord length for pump is 3 Ft.
B. Receptacle must have a weatherproof cover that can be closed when the cord is plugged in. (In-use type/bubble cover)
C. Circuit for the pump motor shall not be less than #12 AWG insulated copper grounded wire, and must be in conduit. (Except when within a building the wire can change to NM) (Cannot use NM wire in underground conduits)
D. Conduit
I. PVC – All PVC conduit must be buried at least 18” deep II. Metal – All Rigid Metal Conduit must be at least 6” deep

Thank you for the details! I think I am good then EXCEPT for the plug/outlet which I can upgrade to the twist lock plug!

Appreciate the info!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Take a pic of the area. It should be pretty simple to remove outlet face and put a cover plate on with a knockout. Then use a small whip of liquid tite flex conduit right to the pump with appropriate connector on each end which would likely be male adapters. Then you are hardwired and no issues

Reactions: larrybbaker
Take a pic of the area. It should be pretty simple to remove outlet face and put a cover plate on with a knockout. Then use a small whip of liquid tite flex conduit right to the pump with appropriate connector on each end which would likely be male adapters. Then you are hardwired and no issues

Thanks - I did not think of that option and will investigate! This set up is completely open/exposed - which in our climate could include feet of snow - depending on the winter - I suspect that is why it was originally set up this way.

@ajw22 Could you clarify one thing? If running two separate circuits, (one for pump and one for convenience) can both sets of wires be in the same conduit or each set have to be in it's own conduit?

Multiple high voltage lines can be in one appropriately sized conduit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.