Copper Pipe Lifespan

My mom’s Chevy had a similar looking paint “cancer”. It’s usually something stupid with one of the under layer treatments .. like that’s where the clamp was on the robotic holder during the process so that little area has no adhesion promoter. Then the elements (rain, salt, whatever) gets at it and the paint peels off. But will they change their manufacturing process …. NOPE. They’d rather gamble on all the people that won’t seek warranty work because they think it must be their fault.

Reactions: Newdude
I was worried that living in sanded and salted road ville, they'd blame it being from winter. But the dealer took one glance and was all 'yup, factory. Go see the body shop'. And the body shop was all 'yup, factory'. And the warranty drpartment was all 'yup, we got the pics, its factory. we'll pay $700 of the $1900'.

*record scratch*

• Haha
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
I was worried that living in sanded and salted road ville, they'd blame it being from winter. But the dealer took one glance and was all 'yup, factory. Go see the body shop'. And the body shop was all 'yup, factory'. And the warranty drpartment was all 'yup, we got the pics, its factory. we'll pay $700 of the $1900'.

*record scratch*

• Haha
Thanks all. Let me try to respond to ajw22 questions, repeated below.

Let's start with why is it time for maintenance to be done?

Now is the time to replace the tile and plaster. The tile is 57 years old with some spots missing grout and tile pieces. Plaster is ~25 years old, stained in spots and thin in spots. Plan to replace tile, and replace plaster with a more durable aggregate surface. Copper pipes and skimmer are also 57 years old and I hope to not have to deal with any leak repairs in the next 20 years or so.

The copper pipe will need to be replaced someday. Why is now the time?

Now is the time as those copper pipes are 57 years old and I don’t want to deal with any leaks in the next 20 years.

As far as the deck and skimmer and what it will take, post pics of the pool and deck and skimmer and equipment pad and show us what the situation is.

Photos uploaded to my album, https://www.troublefreepool.com/media/albums/users/cwilliamp.315651/
This is my first upload of pictures so please let me know if you see them or not.

(Until allen gets back)

So I was 100% with you on 'now is the time', but I felt bad that the patio would never quite be the same. But that's looking like it will get it's own face-lift soon, so I'm entirely sold FWIW.

I imagine you'll want to space the 2 projects out a little as this one will be pricey enough, but the patio will be getting its turn too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Adding the pics to your thread for all to view more easily...

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Pool has only one skimmer?

Do you know which way the pipes run from the equipment pad to the pool?

How many returns and where are they located?

I ask all that since I am trying to imagination how much concrete will get broken up to trench for the pipes? And if it will be clear where they should dig for the pipes or if they are going to break up a lot of the deck as they look for where the pipes run.

You will not know what really needs to be done until all the demo and trenching is complete and you see what you really got.

In addition to the new tile, plaster and skimmers the coping in front of the skimmer will need to be replaced.

You will not know until the tile is removed if you have any bond beam damage that may require the coping be removed to repair.

The trenching around the pool may dig up enough of the deck to make it wise to just demo the entire deck and repour it.

The equipment pad will be chopped up. I would not embed the new pipes in concrete but leave them in dirt and gravel coming up on the side of the equipment pad.

I would figure out what type of electrical subpanel or Load Center you want for the future and redo the electrical at the equipment pad.

So be prepared for the scope of work to expand as you uncover what is really there. You may end up doing new coping and deck and equipment pad. And while you are at it replacing the old energy hog pump with an efficient VS pump. A simple automation system controlling the pump, SWG, and lights may also make sense to either plan for or install.

No pool heater in your future?

Thanks for placing the photos in the thread.

Yes. One skimmer and no plans for more. One has worked fine for the 30 years I’ve had the pool.

I’m not certain of the pipe routes but I assume it is straight from the pad to the skimmer and return port in pool. This return port is about 10 feet, clockwise, from the skimmer.

Thanks for the other tips too. I'll also add that a new pool light will be installed about 5 feet, clockwise, from the skimmer. In the picture one can see the brass lid to the light wiring in the deck.

No plans for a heater. We normally get into the pool from late April through early November. That’s enough for us.

Thanks again. Charlie.

They are copper pipes so they are traceable if you want to pay a service to do it. Kind of like BlueStake (call before you dig) except the town won’t cover the cost, you have to pay for it out of pocket.

I was worried you had returns at the other end of the pool and would need to trench the length of the pool.

If you have one skimmer and one return close to each other then the deck damage should be in one area.

I suggest you get a simple non-LED white pool light. You can figure out what fits your niche or install a new niche during the replaster.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.