Sep 20, 2022
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Im working on putting some precast concrete coping around a Latham fiberglass pool and we are having issues. The concrete was poured a little too high and does have slope away from the pool but not much and it has several dips so I need to rent a concrete grinder and take it down to make the coping sit better. The other issue is the pool wall is not straight so we had to pull the coping that we had already applied with a 1" overhan and will have to be reinstalled with a 1.5" overhang to hide the bow in the wall and hopefully not interfere with the pool cover. The 1" overhang was not enough and in the bowed area, it was 1/4" past the cover track exposing it. I would be ok with it if it was barely covering it but it didn not look good showing the track. The laticrete brick veneer mortar is good option but I fear that it will be too thick at a 1/2 inch glue grooves and make the coping slope back into the pool because its thicker. A caulk like Masterseal NP1 might be a better option with some big daps of glue because it would not be as thick as the thinset and it would allow the copoing to slope away from the pool albeit that would be more expensive. I am in a cold weather area and its about time to close for the winter. Any input would be appreciated on thinset vs caulk. D9DE5803-CF85-4F7B-A5E6-B0F946551775_1_102_o.jpeg581C9003-7BD3-4F10-8350-48D4F62A5F6F_1_105_c.jpeg8527FE3A-9C0F-4D53-A171-31229F528152_1_102_o.jpeg

I am not an expert or a pro (not sure if staying at a Holiday Inn Express gets me any clout either), but my gut would say mortar. Being that you are in a cold climate, making sure water cannot freeze between the copping and the concrete and pop it loose would be what I would focus on. Whatever product is used, don't leave any voids that water can collect in.

Reactions: Waters73
I am not an expert or a pro (not sure if staying at a Holiday Inn Express gets me any clout either), but my gut would say mortar. Being that you are in a cold climate, making sure water cannot freeze between the copping and the concrete and pop it loose would be what I would focus on. Whatever product is used, don't leave any voids that water can collect in.
Holiday inn would definitely add some clout! Thanks !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.