Coping repair

magicalyak

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 11, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Last month a big storm took down a tree which missed my new pool shed but cracked the coping of my inground 20x40 pool. The lip of the coping is broken off and I'm wondering if I can do something for a temporary fix and then think of something more permanent. I think the bond beam is intact (I will investigate further). The coping looks to be concrete with fake grout lines. It raises up slightly and overhangs the pool, which is a liner pool. I was thinking of smoothing it with a grout mix as a temporary solution (mainly just making sure it's not jagged). And looking at coping replacement when I replace the liner (likely in 3 years I am guessing?). I can try to get more pictures but this is what I have now. The last picture is the tree that feel, it cracked off the lip where the hole is in the cover. IMG_0199.jpegIMG_2064.jpegIMG_0858.jpegIMG_8927.jpegIMG_3152.jpeg

Last edited:
When you get better pics of the cracked lip and that area we can give you some ideas.

Reactions: magicalyak
Unrelated, I was able to patch the safety cover with waterproof tape (Gorilla brand black tape). One roll on both sides after drying did it. I'd say it's a one season fix or maybe 2 if you indoor store the cover but I plan to replace the safety cover by sending it in for a 1:1 replacement. So lucky that tree missed the shed, it was just erected this summer. Not like that tree could have fallen 270 degrees in the other direction though....
I'll try to take off the cover and send pics (it's right in the middle). It'll give me a chance to put some bleach in the water and circulate a bit.

I doubt any patch will stay in the edge unless you structurally tie together the existing with the new using some rebar epoxied into the existing. If you are going that far I would say to cut out a section, build a form on the edge, and pour a new area of concrete. It will not match existing but weather in over time.

@jimmythegreek ideas?

As a temporary fix I would mix up some mortar and use that to fill the gap a bit, smoothing it out. And I'd hit the sharp edge of the cracked coping with a grinder to soften it a bit. Then longer term, I'd look at a full coping replacement job. Or, for a more permanent (but not perfect look) fix, cut out the bad sections, get/make a form, and pour concrete. You can carve the grout lines while wet and fill with colored mortar. See if you can live with it at that point. Or find the closest coping stone and see what how good you can make it look.

As a temporary fix I would mix up some mortar and use that to fill the gap a bit, smoothing it out. And I'd hit the sharp edge of the cracked coping with a grinder to soften it a bit. Then longer term, I'd look at a full coping replacement job. Or, for a more permanent (but not perfect look) fix, cut out the bad sections, get/make a form, and pour concrete. You can carve the grout lines while wet and fill with colored mortar. See if you can live with it at that point. Or find the closest coping stone and see what how good you can make it look.
Sounds like a plan, if the mortar doesn't work I can go the replacement route. I'm not well versed on making forms, is there a place that sells them or any bookmarks on sites that explain that a bit better?

Do you have the pieces that broke off?

Making a form is using anything to make the shape of the lip to hold concrete back while drying. Replacing with coping probably won't work I doubt it's that thickness and shape. A decent mason could do this for a few hundred bucks if its outta your DIY skillset

I do and it looks like the coping is in sections or was made with fracture/crack lines every X feet anyway so likely could pull a section out. I may look at a mason though to do this or see about coping replacement for the pool entirely.

Have you checked to see if your home owners will cover this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You would have to saw cut the sections out, its faux coping. Those are expansion joints. Can be done DIY but a Mason ould likely match existing pretty well amd have it look good when done. Coping replacement is not gonna be what you think, there is high probability of dirt under that slab, nothing to mortar coping to

Reactions: magicalyak
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.