Coping Options and Deck Advice

randys

Gold Supporter
Oct 28, 2018
Clayton, NC
Our pool still has no concrete decking and I have been looking at alternate options instead of doing a cantilever concrete edge. One option that seems to look very nice is a stone coping with concrete decking poured up to it. Is there a reason to avoid doing something like this?

We have a double track, liner and water already installed in the bottom track. Our pool builder made it sound like this was an advantage, in that we would have water in our pool sooner. Really, it was an advantage for them to get paid sooner ;) We are happy with our pool so far and is by no means a complaint. We have a friend whose pool builder did the opposite (single-track), already has concrete but now the PB refuses to install the liner due to the cold temperature. So either way, it seems we would have been waiting for something.

The reason I am considering the stone coping is #1) It looks beautiful. #2) we want decking soon, the clay is killing me. Now, we have concrete contractors come out and tell us, "we'll have to get in the pool and it's cold" if they do the cantilever coping and try to convince me to wait until it's warmer.

I have another contractor visiting tomorrow and I will ask about the stone coping instead of the cantilever concrete.

I don’t have any professional expertise in this, but from my research the major difference seems to be the cost. Stone coping and manufactured coping seems to be a higher cost than pour in place.

Someone can probably give a better answer, but that’s what I’ve come across. We are looking at concrete coping that transitions into matching concrete pavers in some parts and just regular concrete in others. The price for the ones we are most likely purchasing is about $22 for each 16x24 coping tile/paver.

I don’t have any professional expertise in this, but from my research the major difference seems to be the cost. Stone coping and manufactured coping seems to be a higher cost than pour in place.

Someone can probably give a better answer, but that’s what I’ve come across. We are looking at concrete coping that transitions into matching concrete pavers in some parts and just regular concrete in others. The price for the ones we are most likely purchasing is about $22 for each 16x24 coping tile/paver.

The best quote I have so far on cantilever concrete coping is $13 per linear foot (that's not even stamped). Our pool is 108 linear feet, which would be $1,404. With the stone option you presented, I'd need 54 pavers * $22 = $1,188. Granted, the cost of laying them will bring it up a little, but it still seems comparable.

With the stone, it seems I could get a higher-class look than even stamped or even match the retaining wall coping... and it may even be less maintenance than stamped concrete.

No expert here, either. I'll just share about my pool. I have [once-] beautiful stone coping and a matching concrete deck with inlays. Love it! But I didn't pick that, and if I built a pool I'd do the cantilever concrete edge. My stone is coming apart. I doubt I'll get another 10 years out of it, so I may get my wish. The expansion joint needs redoing. Every few years it seems. An ongoing maintenance item, and it's failure can cause problems under the deck and to the pool and coping. And this last summer I noticed a new problem. I don't even want to type this, as it then becomes reality I can no longer deny. One whole side of my decking is sinking. Either that or my pool is tilting. Could be gophers. Could be the expansion joint problem I mentioned. I really wish I didn't have coping (as much as I love the look), and I wish the whole thing was one, solid slab of concrete, tied into the shell as much as engineering could allow. No more stone issues, no more expansion joint, no more grout.

If I was to remodel (which I think is inevitable), I would look into stamped concrete. They can do some nice things with that, and even simulate rock-like edges. Check out this guy's deck. I'd want something like his:

Trouble Free Pool

I personally vote for stone coping. I really like blue stone. You can look at fabricated coping such as Techo Bloc. I have the Techo Blu in onyx and I love it. Concrete will crack, it's inevitable. That personally wouldn't bother me but just something to be aware of (small cracks that don't effect the structural integrity of the concrete). For alternate decking around the pool you can always have sod laid down (great look and price).

Just thinking out loud...

We come across lots of remodel threads here, including pic's of older pools. Invariably, at least to me, it's the coping and edge tile that give away the pool's age, they tend to establish that dated look. I wonder if this current trend, of flagstone coping, will be the "dated look" in a decade or two, and some newer coping "fad" will take it's place. Will a cantilevered deck hold up better in terms of style? Personally, I'd apply age old decorating principles where I could: simple, clean, elegant, neutral. Definitions of timeless style. That, and what matches my taste anyway: no bling, no dramatic colors, the more natural the better. That's what I like about that stone-like deck I linked. It looks to me like a pool of rain water trapped in some sort of natural rock outcropping. Something that occurs in nature, and has been for millions of years. Now that's timeless!!

If you're into bling, and flashy colors, do that with pottery and planters, furniture, umbrellas, shade sails, painted fences, whatever. Things that are easy to swap out, things that are cheap to buy and then redo. Disposable style. But for the base, the pool and deck, you go subdued and neutral. That's the canvas. That's the most expensive component, and the one you won't be able to easily (inexpensively) change as your tastes do...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.