Coping Issues

PoolPains$$$$

Sep 8, 2020
Hello, I am new to this group and hopefully someone will be able to assist. Our home was built at least 55 years ago. To our knowledge, the pool was installed at that time. We purchased the home over 30 years ago. We planned to paint the coping because it has become worn and unattractive after many years of use. When speaking to a sales rep at the Sherwin Willams store, we were told that we would need to order the recommended paint on line; the issue that we are having is determining what the coping material is that is currently around the pool. This is especially important since the sales rep warned that the recommended product should not be used on fiberglass. Therefore, we need to determine what the coping is made of. Therein lies the problem. The pool was manufactured by Buster Crabbe. We intend to contact them hoping that during the period the pool was manufactured, only one product was used. If not, hopefully they can provide us with information on ways in which to determine what our coping is made of. I am sharing this to this group, hoping that someone has suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Hi and Welcome to TFP.

I did a quick search and found this:
" Extra wide 8″ Top Seat Steel Powder coated or Injection Molded with Virgin Polymer Resin for superior strength and durability. Also available with 10″ Grande Resin Top Rails. "

So they are right to question what the rails are made of. If you take and share a pic we might have better luck knowing what they are made of.

I am also thinking it might be fairly easy to take just one off to look at the under side of it.

If you tap it with your ring what kind of sound does it make?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.