Coping Grout

AAB

May 23, 2020
Orlando, Florida
A total newbie here, so please excuse if i do not make sense.
I am looking for help ( re: 20 yr old pool) with some questions.
Coping- i have 4-5 that some of the grout needs repair ( Pic1 ).None of them are loose. Is there a specific product for pool coping that can be used to just repair those few & color match the current grout?

Patio Deck Pavers- they go right up to the coping, (pic 2 ) Over time, there are some pavers that have loosened, & whatever was there before has worn away (pic3 ) which i would like to fill / seal to prevent water getting in. is polymeric sand the right product to use? I keep reading about an expansion joint? between pavers and coping? I attached a pic of what is underneath the paver as a reference.

Attachments

• Pic1.JPG
    Pic1.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Pic2.JPG
    Pic2.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Pic3JPG.JPG
    Pic3JPG.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Pic4JPG.JPG
    Pic4JPG.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 25
Not easy to color match old stuff. Depends on mortar type. It's either S or could be N. You would have to make a batch and color match it. By adding portlamd and sand to mix you can change the color just Google it.
Those look like thin pavers in pic. What's underneath is it concrete or a stone dust base?

Thank you so much for replying.
the pavers are 1" thick. i took a pic of what is underneath, looks like concrete... then coarse sand/ mix? i took pics from the pool edge, and the middle of the deck.

Also, when i was researching the need or not for expansion joint etc with the type of coping i have , ( am i right that this is bullnose?) i did not see a set up like this, most pictures the tile went right up to the coping. mine sit below this band of concrete.
apologies for the questions, just trying to get some basic knowledge on what type of set up i have.

Attachments

• Pic4JPG.JPG
    Pic4JPG.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 4
  • pic7.jpg
    pic7.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 5
  • pic6.jpg
    pic6.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 5
Not easy to color match old stuff. Depends on mortar type. It's either S or could be N. You would have to make a batch and color match it. By adding portlamd and sand to mix you can change the color just Google it.
Those look like thin pavers in pic. What's underneath is it concrete or a stone dust base?
Hi, i was wondering if you had any advice regarding the information pictures i sent to your reply?

If they are on a concrete base no need for expansion joint they are floating. Polysand is all we use but if its not already there it's a big job. You have to get out the sand thats there and have the majority of space free for the polysand. If you just top it, the polysand womt last long amd it will fall out in chunks. For the coping just use mortar that matches best. I'm not sure what that band is under the pavers in the one pic

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.