Coping damage; do I need to worry about it?

Dan Morrill

Jun 8, 2020
London Ontario
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
At my two opposite corners, I have some coping seperation from my concrete deck. (Pictures attached below) I don't know a lot about pool construction and I've owned this pool for less than a year. It came like this.

From what I've researched, it appears I have deck integrated coping (concrete poured into the coping). Is this right? I understand this kind of coping is difficult to repair.

Should I be worried about the current amount of separation? Is there any quick, preventative, DIY options? 20200721_190006~2.jpg20200721_190044~2.jpg

All those cracks amd expansion joints need to be sealed up. Water is getting in amd freezing pushing things around. There are clips behind that white coping. If broken the only good fix is a tapcon drilled in thru the front into the concrete deck and a button cover or caulk over it. If debris has gotten behind it the piece will fight you all the way.

Expansion joint should be filled with Deck-O-Seal or Sikaflex.

What about the space between the coping and concrete? Fill it or leave it? The coping is still fairly solid in its new place. There is a little bit of movement, but it doesn't feel like I could push or screw it back into the concrete.20200721_190044~3.jpg

Depends how much the concrete has deteriorated behind the coping. You need to determine if you have a void behind the coping or solid material.

Use am air compressor to blow it all out then a mallet to try amd tap it back in. The materials Allen posted are the right ones for the job. The expansion joint still works fine under caulk. You have voids under the deck that's what that spider crack tells me

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.