Coping-Caulk Issue

pd417

Jan 24, 2012
Our inground pool is about 8 years old and have had no problems with it.
Recently I noticed that the coping/caulk used between our stamped cement patio
and the flagstone edge of the pool is cracking. I'd like to repair and/or replace this, but I don't
know what type of product it is. When our contractor was building the pool, if I recall, the
product came in a standard size caulking tube, they then sprinkled fine sand on while it was still
wet. I'm assuming this is so if there is any movement in the patio, it won't crack the pool edge.

See attached photo.

Does any know what this product is?

Attachments

• IMG_1925.JPG
    IMG_1925.JPG
    621.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I suspect it is your pool expansion joint but I can't tell from such a close picture. For a pool expansion joing you need to use a flexible mastic.

Use a foam backing rod in the joint and then...

or

For a lasting fix that looks good you need to clean out the joint of the old materials. It is tedious work bent over on your knees.

I'm hoping my new Dewalt Multi-tool is going to make that task either for me (the removing) this next time around. I'm due. I last used a Lowe's generic "Sikaflex" and regret that. It didn't last very long at all, and it didn't float (self-level) like it was supposed to. I digress.

The product Allen suggests might very well be the right stuff, but I would call Sikaflex directly and ask. They have many products. Tell them it is for a pool expansion joint, horizontal, and subject to splashing and some salt, and see if they recommend their "1A" or something better. (Or maybe Allen already did that?) Maybe they have a new product? Play it safe, they would know best.

Believe me, the longer it lasts, the less you have to replace it, the happier you'll be!

I prefer deck-o-seal then sikaflex for the reasons @Dirk described. But deck-o-seal is more expensive.

That's the name I couldn't remember! I'm going to try Deck-o-Seal next time. It's gotten "good press" here on TFP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.