Convincing the wife

My mentioned hiring a pool service last year after we came back to a green pool. I debated it and after seeing $175 a month for ONE visit plus chemicals I bought a SWG and a robot. Pays for it's self before long

Let's leave the marital advice out of this. I get what you're saying - you want to be able to convince them (wife and father-in-law....so they're ganging up on you) that what you're doing is better than pool store + mineral cartridges. And the FIL is obviously an issue because he paid for the pool (I'd suggest next time when your family has a big purchase in mind, you leave all extended-family-financing out of it...).

So here's the way out - throw them the keys to the pool gate and tell them that if they think they can do better and cheaper to go for it. Let them go to the pool store and thrown the minerals in with abandon. In no time flat they will learn what an expensive and costly mistake that is. And when the ugly stains show up on the liner and need serious money to fix them, then you say to the father-in-law, "Hey, I'm going to need a few hundred bucks more to correct that, got your checkbook handy?"

See, I'm all for conflict and learning the hard way. I have a 7 year old that will listen to no one and must learn every lesson with a failure. Love and Logic is the key - you love them enough to let the natural consequences of doing stupid things teach them a lesson. Then, when they see that the error has cost them something real (money, time, frustration, etc), they will learn a valuable lesson. Consequences work, you just have to be able to stomach all of the grief during the process.....

See, I'm all for conflict and learning the hard way. I have a 7 year old that will listen to no one and must learn every lesson with a failure. Love and Logic is the key - you love them enough to let the natural consequences of doing stupid things teach them a lesson. Then, when they see that the error has cost them something real (money, time, frustration, etc), they will learn a valuable lesson. Consequences work, you just have to be able to stomach all of the grief during the process.....

My man!!
That’s the way you have to handle people sometimes. Plus I have a whole bag of “I told ya so’s” that I gladly lob at his/her head, while I do my little dance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.