Converting to SWG... Ready to Add Salt?

OK, so I have ordered a Salt Water Generator (CircuPool RJ-45),
Salt Water Test Kit (Taylor K-1766)
and I bought my salt. (24 - 40# Bags of SureSoft Extra Course Water Softener Salt). I can't find a purity rating anywhere on the bag, I plan to call the manufacturer tomorrow.

I was wondering if it's OK to go ahead and "start" adding salt before I install the SWG... I have 800+ lbs. to add. :)

Just finished SLAMing my pool for algae. (CC = 0.5; Passed OCLT test; water is clear)

Chemistry
FC: 10.5 (4-6)
pH: 7.4 (7.2 - 7.8)
TA: 120 (60-80 ppm)
CH: 30 (50-300)
CYA: 80 (70-80)

So, my plan is:
1. Add salt 5 bags at a time... less as I get close to target level.
2. Test salinity.
3. Repeat 1&2 until I get to 200-400ppm above recommendation.
4. Install SWG
5. Adjust TA down to recommended level.
6. Adjust CH up to recommended level.
7. Start running SWG and "fiddle" until I get consistent chlorine readings in the recommneded range.

Thanks in advance for looking this over... just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Does your pool water get to 60F or under soon? If so, you would be better off to keep your salt and equipment in the garage or house and use bleach during the winter. The SWCG will stop producing chlorine at +/-60F. And your pools demand for FC will dramatically fall off.

Up to you --

Take care.

Does your pool water get to 60F or under soon? If so, you would be better off to keep your salt and equipment in the garage or house and use bleach during the winter. The SWCG will stop producing chlorine at +/-60F. And your pools demand for FC will dramatically fall off.

Up to you --

Take care.

Nobody ever mentioned that. Are you saying the SWG won't function below 60F or just that there will be no loss of chlorine at that temp? If the former, then all SWG pools require some other form of chlorine in the winter?

All SWCG's have a low temperature shut off. It can vary by manufacturer a bit but 60F is about the minimum. Some will indicate low salt or on my Pentair, Cold Water.

So yes, if your water gets colder than the low 60's, you must chlorinate with liquid chlorine during the winter. Now, your FC demand is very low at temperatures below 60F. But you still need to test every few days and add chlorine. You might find you can add several FC of chlorine and go a week or even more before needing more. Every pool is different.

Take care.

I would add maybe 500 lbs of salt and then wait for it to be fully dissolved and take a measurement (at least 24+ hours). My pool according to poolmath needed 850lbs but was at the high end of the SWCG needs after 500. Only way to remove salt is to drain the water.

Don't do step 5 of your plan. You only adjust TA down to the point pH is no longer rising rapidly. The suggested range is what seems to work for most pools, not all. I was sitting at a TA of 120 with a pH of 7.5 for almost 2 months and no acid additions prior to closing my pool.

Personally I wouldn't add the cell until spring time rolls around but it's up to you.

At this point I've decided to add the salt, but wait on installing the salt cell until spring. I will log my experience for future readers of the post.
I measured my salinity tonight and was surprised to find that it was already at 1000 ppm. So, my first bit of advice for those reading this post is to measure your salinity before buying salt. Don't assume that it's 0.
I added 5 - 40# bags for starters and I'll see how much that raises the salinity.

At this point I've decided to add the salt, but wait on installing the salt cell until spring. I will log my experience for future readers of the post.
I measured my salinity tonight and was surprised to find that it was already at 1000 ppm. So, my first bit of advice for those reading this post is to measure your salinity before buying salt. Don't assume that it's 0.
I added 5 - 40# bags for starters and I'll see how much that raises the salinity.

This is a testament to how wrong the "wife's tales" are about saltwater pools. 1000ppm with normal chlorination..... Nothing more to say. Once I discovered this piece of info, I immediately went to SWG.

I’d chuck the salt in. You shouldn’t lose any during the winter anyway. You’ll free up your garage from storing 800 lbs of it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.