Converting to SWG - cya question

May 17, 2015
Washington il
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We just finished the SLAM process and want to convert to a SWG. The generator is installed and ready. CYA is 30 and all other numbers are perfect.

Do I need to raise cya to 70 and add salt at the same time. I’m worried about having cya so high and just don’t want to get stuck with a high level. Is that level really necessary?

The only reason to increase your CYA is to help prevent your FC from burning off too quickly.. It is not a requirement to run the cell.. If your CYA is only 30, you will just have to run your cell longer and/or harder to generate the amount of FC your pool will use each day...

You can start at 30 if your wish, but I suggest you get your CYA up to 50 and run it there for a while and see how well it works.. If you find that you have to run the cell more than you want, then you can increase the CYA..

Keep in mind that you probably have a 1000 ppm of salt in your pool right now... Before adding any salt, make sure you test the water with a Taylor K-1766 salt test kit.. I almost never add any salt to my pool without first knowing the actual salt level of the pool.. I never trust what the cell reports.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.