Montgomery County Maryland
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi All - I am converting to salt this Thursday. I have the K1766 kit and the salt test strips but I am a little unsure how and when to test the salt cell with the strips. Can someone help me?

thank you!

Use your K-1766 kit to run a test now. This will allow you a couple days to sneek up on the recommended salt level for your SWG. You should allow the salt to mix for a day before turning on the SWG.

The strips are probably not very accurate, but it wouldn't hurt to run some side-by-side tests so you can use the strips in a pinch.

For the K-1766 test, be aware of the following regarding the "endpoint":

NOTE: A white precipitate will form as R-0718 Silver Nitrate Reagent is added to the sample. Do not add enough R-0718 Silver Nitrate Reagent to give a brown color. First change from yellow to a milky salmon (brick red) is the endpoint

For the K-1766 test, be aware of the following regarding the "endpoint":

NOTE: A white precipitate will form as R-0718 Silver Nitrate Reagent is added to the sample. Do not add enough R-0718 Silver Nitrate Reagent to give a brown color. First change from yellow to a milky salmon (brick red) is the endpoint
thank you!

As I begin to startup my IC40 should I just be generating enough chlorine output to account for the daily evaporation? For example if the ideal Chlorine level is 5ppm and I lose 3ppm per day should I only be trying to generate 3ppm per day?

thank you!

Look up the minimum FC for your CYA level. FC/CYA Levels

Never allow your FC to drop below that level. If your minimum is 5 ppm, your should target 9 ppm to account for daily loss. Best to run a bit over target than fall below minimum.

Look up the minimum FC for your CYA level. FC/CYA Levels

Never allow your FC to drop below that level. If your minimum is 5 ppm, your should target 9 ppm to account for daily loss. Best to run a bit over target than fall below minimum.
Thank you!!

No issue. Both levels are fine. For true salinity, the K1766 is what you use. But as long as the SWCG is happy, that is all that matters.

Reactions: Saturn94

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My SWG was also reading higher than the K-1766. I was concerned as well. Turns out my system(Jandy) could be calibrated, so I lowered the reading to coincide with the Taylor test. Also, I took the same sample to the pool store just to make sure, and theirs was in line with the Taylor. The salt test is one of my favorite to do for some reason. There's a lot going on inside that cylinder.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.