Converting pump to variable speed with Intermatic timer and salt cell

Hotshott97

I converted my single speed whisperflo to Variable speed and love how quiet the new pump is. The pump now controls the timing of operation so I set Intermatic time to operate 24/7. This inadvertently left the salt cell (aqua rite) controller on 24/7. Researched here how to add a relay to measure pump voltage and got lost. I decided my easiest route is to keep the aqua rite on the intermatic timer and move the power for the pump inside the timer to the main. Now I coordinate the intermatic timer with the pump timer but once set will only require coordination after power outages. Hoping this helps some other DIY find an easy solution to pump upgrades and old fashioned controls.
The salt generator has a flow switch so even if it's not on a timer, it will shut itself off when the flowswitch shows the pump is off. So do i really need to have the salt cell on a timer?

MOD NOTE-moved from here: Converting pump to variable speed with Intermatic timer and salt cell

Last edited by a moderator:
The flow switch is a secondary/backup safety device. It should not be relied upon as the primary/only safety device. If the flow switch malfunctions and the cell is still on without water flow, it can explode.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Welcome to TFP.

What model SWG are we discussing?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.