Converting pool with copper main drain to salt water?

whackit

May 25, 2019
Los Angeles
Hi pool people,

We just got our vintage in ground pool lined with fiberglass (it's great - second pool we have done this to) and are considering converting it to salt water. I can't seem to get a straight answer on whether our copper floor drain line (which we couldn't replace for various reasons mostly cost) is going to be an issue or not. Some people say no big deal some say absolutely don't convert. Hoping to get some more info. All the rest of the plumbing is new PVC so it's only this line that's an issue. Would vastly prefer a SW pool.

Thanks!

W,

There are thousands and thousands of old pools out there without an operating main drain. In many cases the pool owner does not even know it is not working..

I say this because you could just cap off the main drain as you really do not need it for anything.

Saltwater pools are not like the ocean, they have the salt level of your tears, about 3,500 ppm, or just slightly salty. This is not going to do anything to your copper plumbing, that would be any different that the pool water you are using today..

I have three saltwater pools and would just a soon fill them in with dirt as have them not be saltwater pools... :mrgreen:

I do not have any copper pipes, but I can tell you I have seen zero issues with any corrosion or any other problems related to saltwater.

In my mind saltwater is the only way to sanitize a swimming pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
W,

Then most likely you don't have an operating main drain right now...

Do you have floating diverter valve under your skimmer basket... ?? If you are like most pool owners, you do not.. This mean that your main drain is not operational...

I am surprised that your pool contractor, did not cap it off and just fiberglass right over it.. :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.