Converting Our Pool

GaDiesel

Apr 21, 2019
Georgia
Hi, I am brand new to this site and the forum. We moved to GA last year and installed a 16x32 above ground pool at our place. What a great addition especially when working outside all day in late August!!! We used Baquacil the 1st year and our pool looked great but the cost was outrageous, so we decided to convert and plan to use a saltwater chlorine system. I found the TFP website and followed the "Baquacil to Chlorine" conversion guidance as closely as I could. I started 6 days ago. On day one, the pool turned brown, like coffee. I figured I had really fouled something up but I re-read everything and I was spot on. So I stayed with it. Testing 7 or 8 times a day (our brand new Taylor's test kit is nearly empty!!!), adding chlorine as recommended using pool math, vacuuming, and backwashing. The first couple days my vacuuming was haphazard at best since I could not even see the bottom. Today is day six of the conversion and the pool looks almost normal. Very clear with the slightest green tint. I'm thinking that will be gone in a day or two. Anyway, for those of you second-guessing yourselves or the directions, I recommend you stick with them. They are working for us.

The new saltwater system arrives tomorrow and I think fairly soon it will be in operation and chlorinating our pool. Looking forward to an enjoyable summer in our pool. Thanks for all the guidance and recommendations on this website and in the forums.

Reactions: splashpad
Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Glad to hear the Baqua page has helped. Stick with it! Don't get impatient with any of it, especially when ensuring the chlorine holds before changing the media. Speaking of that, please update your signature. List all of your pool and equipment info so we know what you have there. It's the first thing we look for. One of our most experienced baqua alumni (@Leebo) might check in later to ask more specific questions. But it sounds like you're on the right track. Stick with it and keep us posted.

Our conversion continues and I think we're nearing completion. Starting to use way less chlorine and FC is remaining high while CC is steadily dropping. Here are some photos to show the progress from start date (17 APR) to now.

Attachments

• Day 1 17 APR.jpg
    Day 1 17 APR.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Day 4 20 APR.jpg
    Day 4 20 APR.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Day 6 22 APR.jpg
    Day 6 22 APR.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Wow
Reactions: Casey and splashpad
Yes sir. I dropped from 15 to 12 ppm FC overnight, so getting close. I did not change the sand yet, but only because I got too busy installing a whole house water filter (lots of projects to do on our "new" house). I plan to change the filter media today or tomorrow and will install the new salt chlorine generator while I have everything disconnected.

Ah yes. Then you are right between steps 6 & 7:
7.When you lose 1 ppm of chlorine, or less, overnight it is time to clean out your filter and change the media. Once the filter is cleaned up, add enough CYA to reach 30 ppm. Continue to maintain FC at 15 ppm.
8.Your conversion is complete when CC’s are 0.5 or less two days in a row.
9.You are now ready to review Recommended Levels and ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and begin balancing your water.

Once you get that sand changed it will make a big difference as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.