Jul 29, 2021
Warrior, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm new here and happy to have found TFP. Here is my situation/issue:
We have had our 33 ft round 42 in deep above ground pool about 3 years. We purchased from Family Leisure and use the Perma Salt System. I know, big mistake. We had some issues but last season except for 1 bout with algae the water stayed clear. ( I just realized by reading information here that clear doesn't equal sanitized so now I just feel gross) We are approximately 30-35 miles away from Family Leisure, where we have to purchase their special chemicals, while we have 2 regular pool stores less than 10 minutes from our house. Its been 2 weekends since we were able to use our pool so we are now working with our local pool store and doing a floc (and adding chlorine) to hopefully be able to get in this weekend. We have decided to convert to either salt water or chlorine next season. The pool store said that salt water is corrosive and our pool walls would last longer with a chlorine system but that they do sell above ground salt water systems and that is it up to us which one we get. The reason we are leaning towards salt water is from what we understand it is easier and cheaper to maintain. What is your opinion and what would you do if you were us? My in-laws had terrible luck with their in ground chlorine system and it cost so much money and work just to have it swimable each weekend. Our quote on a new liner (we are dealing with holes/patches in our current liner) and converting to salt water - this is everything included - $3800.00. I didn't get a quote on converting to chlorine which I imagine would be much cheaper. I guess my thoughts were I would rather have several years of getting to swim in a clear/clean pool each weekend (with a salt water system) in season rather than prolong the life of our pool walls but spending more money on chemicals and having way less clear/clean pool days with a chlorine system. Please let me know what you think.
Thanks!
Tonya

Welcome to TFP Tonya :)

You are all over it and doing a great thing..

By getting a new liner you will already be starting with new water and can also start TFP at the same time..

You will need one of these 2 test kits.. When you order the test kit also get a speed stir (this will save your life) and the K-1766 salt test kit.. Test Kits Compared

These are great Salt Water Generators and will last years.. when they do die, mine lasted 7 years. they are 400 to 600 to replace the cell..

You have about 22,000 gallons of water so a 45k or 60k SWG will work great for you.. We recommend 2 or more times the pool volume so you do not have to run the pump 24/7..

Ask any questions you have :)

Reactions: tfetner
So you're here and that's what counts. You won't be making any further decisions on your own. We can guide you on any aspect pool-wise. I will question the $3800 price tag. I'd like to see the breakdown of what he's delivering for the money as you want to do this right the first time. Which liner, salt water generator and anything else he's providing. Just so you know salt is salt whether it's a chlorine pool or a salt pool as they are one in the same but how you sanitize is what it breaks down to.

Reactions: Mdragger88
So you're here and that's what counts. You won't be making any further decisions on your own. We can guide you on any aspect pool-wise. I will question the $3800 price tag. I'd like to see the breakdown of what he's delivering for the money as you want to do this right the first time. Which liner, salt water generator and anything else he's providing. Just so you know salt is salt whether it's a chlorine pool or a salt pool as they are one in the same but how you sanitize is what it breaks down to.
I know the liner and install are $2000.00 that includes additional sand, etc. and the $1800 is for the Hayward Salt Water System and installation of that.

I have been researching and I'm not liking what I see as far as the corrosion that salt water can do to a metal above ground pool and its components. I saw where one guy had rust around his entire pool wall in just 4 years. If I only trusted myself with chlorine, my in laws had terrible luck with their chlorine pool but maybe if my husband and I knew what we were doing we would have better luck. What's your opinion?

Your pool right now is a salt water pool... is it rusting now? I bet your salt is around 1500 ppm right now.. you will have to raise it to about 3000 ppm but that is nothing.. the ocean is 35,000 ppm.. :)

Grab a salt test kit and see what you are at now.. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DO35EU

Your pool right now is a salt water pool... is it rusting now? I bet your salt is around 1500 ppm right now.. you will have to raise it to about 3000 ppm but that is nothing.. the ocean is 35,000 ppm.. :)

Grab a salt test kit and see what you are at now.. Amazon.com : TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES INC K-1766 DROP TEST CHLORIDE SALT WATER : Swimming Pool Liquid Test Kits : Garden & Outdoor
I will as soon as I can. Reading on the Perma Salt page it says a Perma Salt pool has .002ppm less salt than a tear.

well that is disheartening.. Tears are about 7000 ppm... so your really have a salty pool now.. A SWG is way less than you are running now...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your volume seems to be about 20k gal. So be sure to get a cell rated for at least 40k gal. Which would be the t-15 for Hayward.
this comparison chart is great for comparing prices & chlorine output as the gallon ratings are not really set in stone & can vary quite a bit between manufacturers.

Welcome to TFP Tonya :)

You are all over it and doing a great thing..

By getting a new liner you will already be starting with new water and can also start TFP at the same time..

You will need one of these 2 test kits.. When you order the test kit also get a speed stir (this will save your life) and the K-1766 salt test kit.. Test Kits Compared

These are great Salt Water Generators and will last years.. when they do die, mine lasted 7 years. they are 400 to 600 to replace the cell..

You have about 22,000 gallons of water so a 45k or 60k SWG will work great for you.. We recommend 2 or more times the pool volume so you do not have to run the pump 24/7..

Ask any questions you have :)
We are pool new is who jut wanted a fun summer for the grandkids. We have a new 30 foot above ground pool installed this year with sand filter and permanent salt system. Water never really stabilized and we received so much conflicting information on what to do we are now looking a very cloudy pool with visible salt residue. Had pump issues and it was determined to be defective and a warranteed replacement coming soon. We also suspect that the pump issue has damaged the heater because at 86 degrees or higher the heater emits a gas smell because it is not running efficiently any longer. We will need to close pool soon I and think we need to drain it, clean out the salt, refill it, balance and then winterize. It seems like the Perma Salt system was a huge mistake and advise we received from local pool supply stores to balance system created more problems. Can yo help with what we need to do so that Spring can start with a swimmable pool?

I'm new here and happy to have found TFP. Here is my situation/issue:
We have had our 33 ft round 42 in deep above ground pool about 3 years. We purchased from Family Leisure and use the Perma Salt System. I know, big mistake. We had some issues but last season except for 1 bout with algae the water stayed clear. ( I just realized by reading information here that clear doesn't equal sanitized so now I just feel gross) We are approximately 30-35 miles away from Family Leisure, where we have to purchase their special chemicals, while we have 2 regular pool stores less than 10 minutes from our house. Its been 2 weekends since we were able to use our pool so we are now working with our local pool store and doing a floc (and adding chlorine) to hopefully be able to get in this weekend. We have decided to convert to either salt water or chlorine next season. The pool store said that salt water is corrosive and our pool walls would last longer with a chlorine system but that they do sell above ground salt water systems and that is it up to us which one we get. The reason we are leaning towards salt water is from what we understand it is easier and cheaper to maintain. What is your opinion and what would you do if you were us? My in-laws had terrible luck with their in ground chlorine system and it cost so much money and work just to have it swimable each weekend. Our quote on a new liner (we are dealing with holes/patches in our current liner) and converting to salt water - this is everything included - $3800.00. I didn't get a quote on converting to chlorine which I imagine would be much cheaper. I guess my thoughts were I would rather have several years of getting to swim in a clear/clean pool each weekend (with a salt water system) in season rather than prolong the life of our pool walls but spending more money on chemicals and having way less clear/clean pool days with a chlorine system. Please let me know what you think.
Thanks!
Tonya
I purchased an above ground pool from Family leisure in Spring of 2020. The water was never really clear all summer. I'm fairly certain the installers used leftover sand from the installation (the sand they put under the liner) into the filter so that might another cause of the cloudy water. I decided to try it one more summer because I ended up with a free start up chemical bucket ($100). I opened it to clear water in Spring 2021, but I went on vacation and came back and it was green with algae. Tried doubling and tripling the Perma salt chemicals with some Algaecide from Family leisure. The water turned dark blue and cloudy and would not clear. Was finally fed up as it was the middle of June and still hadn't been able to swim.

So I bought a Circupool SWG, replaced all of the sand in the filter with actual pool sand, drained half the pool to get rid of any copper, and then SLAMMED for about a week. Passed the SLAM and turned on the SWG and was able to swim by July 4th. Have not had to do anything since, except add water occasionally and backwash a couple of times. I can see clearly underwater across the 30ft pool. I check the levels every week with the test kit and all are holding steady.

You won't regret going to a SWG. It's worth it for less hassle and beautiful water.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.