Convert to SWG

dsm

Jul 3, 2010
Double Oak, TX
I have a 21 year old pool. I have been following BBB practices for the last 10 years. I am very seriously considering installing a SWG system for chlorine. Are there any serious drawbacks I should consider before doing this? Thanks

Do you have any form of automation?

A SWCG will be a great addition. We would recommend a system rated for 60K gallons. Pentair and Circupool makes systems with that rating. Depending on your answer to the automation, will depend on which direction you may go.

You have an Intelliflo VS pump that has its own onboard timer/scheduler. I was asking if you had an EasyTouch or other automation device to control the pump, any automated valves, etc. Sounds like you do not.

If you have an independent timer aside from that onboard of the pump, that is good, as you will need a timer for the SWCG. The timer should NOT be controlling your pump, that pump should be getting continuous 240V power and its onboard timer/scheduler being used to control when and at what RPM the pump runs.

Reactions: HermanTX
I have a 21 year old pool. I have been following BBB practices for the last 10 years. I am very seriously considering installing a SWG system for chlorine. Are there any serious drawbacks I should consider before doing this? Thanks
There are no downsides.. You will have to change how you manage your chem a little. Notice there is a different percentage for CYA in the FC/CYA Levels. Also SWG pools cause pH rise that is easily managed by adding a little MA every now and then.

If you need help picking one out, post up your current set up and we can help guide you down that road as well.

[Edit] I just saw you are doing a larger equipment upgrade and including an SWG... the possibilities become bigger! ;) I added an SWG when I upgraded all the equipment on my pad. That was the best thing I added!

I converted this year. It was a "no-brainer". It makes the chlorination so simple. Between the SWG and drip irrigation for my plants, I reduced my maintenance time by about 90%.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thanks for all of the assistance. I met with one of the contractors I am accepting bids from today about automation. Seems that since I am 'just a pool' (no spa, no heater) my contractor opines that automation does not provide much value to my situation.

Sounds good. Just remember you need a method to remove the power from the SWCG when the pump is not running. Do not let the contractor set it up to just use the flow switch on the SWCG as your only safety device. There are documented instances of SWCG exploding when the flow switch fails closed.

Reactions: TimTucker
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.