Controlling Stenner with a Flow Switch?

runboy

Jun 26, 2018
Mesa/AZ
I have a Stenner Econ T for Chlorine injection that I want to control with a flow switch.
i am concidering using the following switch:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR8371I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
but I haven’t been able to locate any specs on the switch.
The Stenner wall adapter provides 24V Dc. I was considering just buying a 24V automotive relay and use the wall adapters 24VDC for both the flow switch/coil and of course source for the Stenner. Any problem in this or is it too much voltage for the switch?

Runboy are you saying your Stenner is 24VDC ? If so then just cut one of the hot wires feeding it. Find the 2 wires on your flow switch that are the switch on / off and attach one to each of the cut wires on the Stenner feed. Only problem with this is if that model has programming it would need to depend on the internal battery for long periods.

Those flow switches are designed for dry contact relay current which is much lower than what a Stenner draws. The flow switch may not last very long under those conditions.

... Only problem with this is if that model has programming it would need to depend on the internal battery for long periods.

I was actually considering wiring the dry contact relay between the circuit board and the pump motor inside the Stenner. See any problems doing it like that except for warranty issues?

06ad13b0fa5ba8e4ab9840d1973ee228_zpsjtvxwjbb.jpg

I am not sure if that one has a de-bounce circuit or not. I would ask the seller question regarding that and see if they respond.

Here is a spec sheet with a phone number you could call:

https://www.functionaldevices.com/downloads/datasheets/RIB01BDC.pdf

They have gone home for the day, but I have sent them an email. I don't even know if I would need debounce. Maybe the flow switch maintains a pretty decent contact.

I did find this dry contact relay that probably works better if I decide to put the relay on the outlet instead of the pump motor:
Details - Functional Devices, Inc.
Has an override switch so I can program the Stenner without flow. I do like the idea of wiring it to the pump motor though so I retain programming functionality and don't put undue stress on my backup battery.

Didn't ask this question but doesn't the Stenner have it's own timer? Why do you need the flow switch?

Didn't ask this question but doesn't the Stenner have it's own timer? Why do you need the flow switch?

Stenner has it's own timer and my Pentair is programmed to start before and end after the Stenner. Its just a safety precaution in case my Pentair doesn't run for some reason. Probably an overkill.
I even have a Pentair Check Valve, but I don't like that it is restricting my flow, so I would prefer the flow valve solution.
Additionally I am adding a second Stenner to inject Acid and I am even more concerned with that one running without flow. Even with the Check Valve protection my heater, the in floor cleaner downstream would be exposed to the chemicals and I don't know how well the internals in that one would like the concentrated acid.
Probably an overkill either way.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by 1Sammy
... Only problem with this is if that model has programming it would need to depend on the internal battery for long periods.

I was actually considering wiring the dry contact relay between the circuit board and the pump motor inside the Stenner. See any problems doing it like that except for warranty issues?
That's the way i would wire it. Did not mention that becuse i didn't know if you wanted to get that deep into the guts, lol.. Gud on ya.. AND, no way are you doing an overkill, things can and will go wrong if you wait long enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by 1Sammy

That's the way i would wire it. Did not mention that becuse i didn't know if you wanted to get that deep into the guts, lol.. Gud on ya.. AND, no way are you doing an overkill, things can and will go wrong if you wait long enough.

Doing it like that actually opens up a lot of opportunities. Since I am going to ad an acid injection system also (So two Stenners) it ends up being cheaper using a Raspberry Zero W and a relay module. Hooking it up to the motor directly gives me the option to either have the Stenner take care of timing or switch over and adding juice to the motor myself.
That way I will be able to adjust my levels remotely by either adding or blocking Stenners timer from adding.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.