Controlling PH with Saltwater/Chlorine Generator

MikeElmendorf

Jun 6, 2022
Albany, NY
I am having issues controlling the PH in my pool.

It bounces from 7.9 to 8.2, sometimes as high as 8.3.

I've added chemicals per the direction of my local pool store and they have had little to no effect.

I understand that PH will be higher with a saltwater pool. Do I have a problem to address or not and if so, suggestions on what to do?

Thanks.

Post a full set of current test results from one of the recommended test kits.
Test Kits Compared

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt
Water temperature

What are these "chemicals" of which you speak?

Your pH won't necessarily be higher just because you have a SWG.
I think the problem is you going to and trusting the pool store.

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in helping you without needing to ask you each time.

Also is this a plaster pool? If so, is the plaster fairly new? Those things can also impact ph rise.
The ph of Saltwater pools & pools manually chlorinated with liquid chlorine don’t necessarily have a higher ph or faster ph rise- they just don’t have the continuous lowering of ph that occurs from using acidic trichlor or dichlor products for daily chlorination.

Reactions: reggiehammond
Using TFP methods, I only add 0.5-1.0 gallons of Muriatic Acid every week or two to control my pH rise (due to high TA fill water.)
If you're doing much more than that, something is off, and it's likely that pool store methods have you out of control.

My pool has had a pH rise for 15 years. I lowered TA to the 50-60 range per advice from this forum, but I still have to a MA around 1x per week, just not as much as I did when keeping TA in the 80-100 range. I know the SWCG produces bubbles when generating chlorine, so I assume that aeration contributes to pH rise, but it’s easy to live with. The acid addition takes less than 5 minutes per week and is just part of my normal maintenance routine.

It is a vinyl liner.
My test results just now:

Free Chlorine - 3.42ppm
Total Chlorine - 3.42ppm
pH - 8.1
Alkalinity - 121ppm
Adjusted Alkalinity - 112ppm
Calcium Hardness - 204ppm
Cyanuric Acid - 29ppm
Salt is about 3400ppm
Temp is 82.

Thanks.
Can’t recommend enough getting your own test kit and doing it all correctly. Pool store results will lead you astray, more often than not.

Assuming any of the results are correct, running 30 CYA with a SWCG is not advisable and simple MA additions would lower TA and stabilize pH drift.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.