Control pack for hot tub

GeoffM

Dec 8, 2014
Murrieta, CA
A couple of years ago we acquired a spa for free from a neighbor but it was missing the electronics/pump/heater. I cobbled together spare parts from other sources and for a grand total of $150 including labor to move it we had ourselves a working hot tub. However, the heater started to give up - maybe one or more elements wasn't working - just heating very slowly.

So I decided to look for a spa control pack - one that has a topside control panel, heater, and electronic gubbins (the 2-speed pump is okay). Plenty around, for $375 upwards. I tried to buy locally, albeit phoning first, but every spa dealer I've phoned has demanded to know the make and model of the spa - which I don't know, and thought was irrelevant as I wanted the whole pack to replace the existing gubbins, and just connect it to the existing 2" plumbing. I'm not really inclined to schlepp over to their stores in person dragging the existing control system if they can't get past "I don't know the model" over the phone.

So is there something I'm missing here? I can't just buy an "Apollo 11 standard spa pack" (for example) and hook it up?

Only potential problem I see is the plug for the pump. The current one is rectangular with three round pins in a diagonal line (compass NW-center-SE), plus another blade pin in the top corner (NE), looking at it face-on.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with Spabrothers when I had a Vita Spa. You could get a real live person on the phone and they could help you with repairs. Heck, one of them even gave me his cell phone number so I could call on a Saturday morning if I had issues installing a part.

Now, with that being said a heater/controller/keypad can run in the high hundreds of dollars. it may not be cost effective, but wouldn't hurt to call.

Thanks but I'm confused why the local stores want to know the make of the hot tub. To me it's like going to Walmart for a new toaster and them asking what brand of electrical socket you have.

Amazon also sell control packs though they're not the cheapest.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.