Contracts signed on Long Island

I don't have handrails on my build either and was concerned with my parents needing them and also having to bond them after the fact. I ran across a product that doesn't require bonding, company is called Saftron. I was thinking if rails are needed afterwards I might give these a try. If I am wrong and these do indeed need bonding, or maybe they just plain stink I am sure someone will say something here. Always good to get feedback :)
Haven't heard about that option. I'll look into it it thanks.

We have one poster here who regrets having to rely on the Saftron handrails as he finds them very unattractive compared to the handrails placed during construction. Installing the cups during construction, yet not using them unless needed, solves this problem. There are many fancy artsy rails out on the market now if you look around.

You mention a fence around the pool- Have you considered an autocover instead? May not cost that much more than a fence. We love ours. One turn of the key and the cover opens and shuts in seconds. Chemicals last longer, the pool stays warmer when covered overnight, and the pool stays cleaner. With small kids as you have it could be a huge weight off your mind to know the pool is off limits and safe.

Maddie :flower:

We have one poster here who regrets having to rely on the Saftron handrails as he finds them very unattractive compared to the handrails placed during construction. Installing the cups during construction, yet not using them unless needed, solves this problem. There are many fancy artsy rails out on the market now if you look around.

You mention a fence around the pool- Have you considered an autocover instead? May not cost that much more than a fence. We love ours. One turn of the key and the cover opens and shuts in seconds. Chemicals last longer, the pool stays warmer when covered overnight, and the pool stays cleaner. With small kids as you have it could be a huge weight off your mind to know the pool is off limits and safe.

Maddie :flower:
I think I'm leaning towards getting the handrails or at least having the cups put in. Seems like the way to go.

I hadn't considered an automatic cover because I assumed that would be a lot more expensive than the fence. We are planning on doing a mesh safety fence for around $1500-$2000.

There are no auto covers for freeform pools. If you want an auto cover, the design will have to be geometric, ie, rectangle.

With some many very little ones get ALL of the safety stuff you can. I am a Kindergarten teacher so know just how fast little ones can be!!! Keep those babies safe no matter the cost please!!

Fence, alarms on doors and windows, locks the kids cannot undo on their own.

Kim:kim: (The worry wort that cares!)

With some many very little ones get ALL of the safety stuff you can. I am a Kindergarten teacher so know just how fast little ones can be!!! Keep those babies safe no matter the cost please!!

Fence, alarms on doors and windows, locks the kids cannot undo on their own.

Kim:kim: (The worry wort that cares!)
I know! I'm planning on the fence, alarms and locks. My wife is leaning towards a big metal fence but I think the mesh safety fence will be better. No chance of slipping through or climbing and it can be easily removed when they're older.

Kindergarten wow! I teach middle school but, the days when I was subbing in a kindergarten class were always my most exhausting.

Hi. I'm in Rockland county so we have the same swimming season. Nat gas is the way to go in our area, so good choice imo. I have the heater size you were quoted and it's plenty (different brand). You'll use it a lot in May/June and then Sept/Oct. July and August the heater barely kicks in and I don't use any solar cover to try to keep heat in. I said to myself I'll try no cover for the 1st season and see how much it cost to heat the pool. I was shocked it was so low in cost (never more than $150/month more than without the pool). I used to heat all the time but not I keep the heater off during the week when the kids are in school and I'll turn it on (to 86) Friday morning through Sunday night. Once they are out of school it's set to 86. I see the $150 bills for the June and Sept cycles. October I only heat if i think we'll swim the next day (air temps are often too cool to want to swim).

I have the Jandy CV460 filter and it's plenty big enough for my ~20k gallon pool. I need to clean it once at the end of the summer (assuming I don't open to a black water pool, haha).

I don't put my handrail in unless I'm having a family party (when I know there will be people who want it). The sleeves/cups that the rail goes in does get debris in it but I'm glad i put it in anyway to have the option. I did a bench in the deep end too and you'll love it. I leave my ladder out too b/c the kids can just swim to the bench to get out.

Last edited:
Hi. I'm in Rockland county so we have the same swimming season. Nat gas is the way to go in our area, so good choice imo. I have the heater size you were quoted and it's plenty (different brand). You'll use it a lot in May/June and then Sept/Oct. July and August the heater barely kicks in and I don't use any solar cover to try to keep heat in. I said to myself I'll try no cover for the 1st season and see how much it cost to heat the pool. I was shocked it was so low in cost (never more than $150/month more than without the pool). I used to heat all the time but not I keep the heater off during the week when the kids are in school and I'll turn it on (to 86) Friday morning through Sunday night. Once they are out of school it's set to 86. I see the $150 bills for the June and Sept cycles. October I only heat if i think we'll swim the next day (air temps are often too cool to want to swim).

I have the Jandy CV460 filter and it's plenty big enough for my ~20k gallon pool. I need to clean it once at the end of the summer (assuming I don't open to a black water pool, haha).

I don't put my handrail in unless I'm having a family party (when I know there will be people who want it). The sleeves/cups that the rail goes in does get debris in it but I'm glad i put it in anyway to have the option. I did a bench in the deep end too and you'll love it. I leave my ladder out too b/c the kids can just swim to the bench to get out.

That's good to know about the heater and filter sizes. I've been going back and forth on upgrading to the next size but the PB says they are a good fit for that size pool.

That's a great idea for both the handrails and ladder. I've decided to do the handrails. So this way I will always ave the option. Better to have them than to not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Give some thought to your equipment pad setup and location. If you have the space and money for it, putting all of the equipment in a well built equipment shed with storage space is a great idea given your winter climates. If the equipment is simply placed out in the elements, then closing the pool will require removing the equipment to an indoor storage space to protect it from freezing. A large equipment shed (one you can stand in) makes the equipment easier to service and less likely to be damaged by the elements. However, with a gas heater, any shed would need to be constructed with proper ventilation and exhaust using a licensed HVAC contractor.

Give some thought to your equipment pad setup and location. If you have the space and money for it, putting all of the equipment in a well built equipment shed with storage space is a great idea given your winter climates. If the equipment is simply placed out in the elements, then closing the pool will require removing the equipment to an indoor storage space to protect it from freezing. A large equipment shed (one you can stand in) makes the equipment easier to service and less likely to be damaged by the elements. However, with a gas heater, any shed would need to be constructed with proper ventilation and exhaust using a licensed HVAC contractor.
I know, I wish I had the space for an equipment shed. I don't see how I could fit one in the space that I currently have. But, maybe my PB will have some ideas. I'll mention it to him.

Hey everyone, just wanted to post an update. Scheduled to dig on 5/15. But, I'm guessing that's getting pushed back. We have an overhead utility wire that needs to be buried and a meter moved. However, the utility company isn't doing any non essential shut offs or meter upgrades right now. So, maybe I'll just post some pics of the backyard and ask if some of you would mind giving me some suggestions for designs. (pics to come in the light of day tomorrow) Just to pass the time. Started to get stir crazy here, hope everyone is staying safe.

So after months of silence things have picked up at a blinding pace. The builder came out last Wednesday to talk about the design finally. Then, Thursday they called and said the design will be ready very soon and we can start on Tuesday the 12th. We got the design last night the 11th. Went back and forth before finally approving. Now today is dig day! I can't believe it's happening. I've attached the design. Let me know what you think. Not sure that there's time to make changes to the pool itself. But, the rest of the yard is still up for grabs.

Attachments

• Resized_FullSizeR.jpeg
    Resized_FullSizeR.jpeg
    363.6 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: Nectarologist
LOVE the design! I would move one of those light though. I would put the middle one over by the shelf and slide. Three in that one area is too much.

What will they do about the power lines over the yard?

Kim:kim:
Great idea. I'll have them move a light. The electrician is going to bury the lines and move the meter on the day that they hook up the pool equipment.

Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.