Continuous rain and algae prevention

WDaley

Jul 14, 2018
oak grove, mo
endless rain I open my pool about the same time that a two-week period of rain began. My land is turned into a water world. My pool collects worms, crawdads, and garden snakes. I worry that algae will begin, so I keep my chlorine levels above-normal. My pool is 12 feet by 60 feet. I chlorinate with liquid chlorine, baking soda, and soda ash. Is there anything I should be doing to prevent the onset of algae

Are you saying that nearby water from your property is running-over and into your pool? There's been a few this season already. It's simply damage control first. Make sure nothing electrical at your equipment pad gets wet or submerged. As for the water itself, brush and scoop what you can. Increasing the FC is expected to try and avoid a full-on algae explosion. The water may still get murky from the dirt and such, so clearing the water will take time.

Don't forget to update your signature so we know what you have to work with.

Are you saying that nearby water from your property is running-over and into your pool? There's been a few this season already. It's simply damage control first. Make sure nothing electrical at your equipment pad gets wet or submerged. As for the water itself, brush and scoop what you can. Increasing the FC is expected to try and avoid a full-on algae explosion. The water may still get murky from the dirt and such, so clearing the water will take time.

Don't forget to update your signature so we know what you have to work with.
I must have made my situation seem worse than it is. The pool is on high ground. I'm not taking in any water except the Rainwater. I just wondered if I was doing enough to prevent algae.

I can't imagine needing both baking soda and soda ash == your fill water must have a TA of 0!

Keep your FC in target based on CYA and no algae. Rain has little effect on water chemistry until your pool overflows lots of water.

I use soda ash to raise pH and baking soda when needed to raise alkalinity
Baking Soda = big TA change, small pH change
Borax = Big pH change, small TA change
Washing Soda = big pH change, big TA change. Probably more TA change than you want.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.