Continuation of an odyssey

So my. Um. Friend. Had a different PB than me. The PB flat out told me. Wait I mean him. Anyway. ‘He’ got told that he had to be given the water alarm for the side of the pool. And if he actually used it, his neighbors would smash his windows within 2 nights because they go off with every ripple from the breeze.

There is no place for the battery to go INSIDE the alarm?? AND it is upside down!!!!

Newdude those water alarms will drive any one nuts unless it is an inside pool. Tell your *friend* this as well. Sounds like your friends PB made a couple of extra bucks off of that sale :roll:

Reactions: Newdude
I still have a...... um. Extra one if anybody nearby wants it. All joking aside we fenced the pool with 4 ft chain link. The lockable doohickey that opens the gate is closer to 5 ft tall. 1st and second graders can reach it but not open it. So no little kids are getting in if somebody wanders off lost from a neighbors house. The alarm is a moot point but still a county code. We would have needed door alarms also on any doors that opened to the pool area with out the fence.

The battery fits inside the unit just fine. It works just fine. However, the proper place for that battery is not in the unit, if you get my drift. Hopefully that and the gate I built on the side of the house will be good enough for the inspector. AZ law says single family households are exempt if the youngest if over six, but the county knows best and overruled the state law.

We almost never have anyone younger than that over.

Gotcha. Nice.

Attachments

• 5F052BA7-30F8-42BB-85BB-7EF8F3AE1975.png
    5F052BA7-30F8-42BB-85BB-7EF8F3AE1975.png
    677.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 34C71FE9-1C75-4194-B723-A3222CC81DC2.jpeg
    34C71FE9-1C75-4194-B723-A3222CC81DC2.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 28
The upside down alarm part is another nanny state thing. The cables are super short to keep people from trying to use the thing for two window panes. Which would not work. Unfortunately when you need to run it through a wall, then you have to mount it upside down to make the run work. It is designed to be mounted either right side up or upside down but not sideways. It works fine that way.

Really it is designed to be taken out right after the code inspector leaves but mine will stay with the pool...

So I decided to clean up some of the outdoor area to get rid of the mud and concrete dust. I was busy and checked the portable spa three days ago (my weekly detailed service was delayed by the work on Saturday).

The concrete dust got inside of the tub and the pH went from 7.4 three days ago to 8.3 today. Plus I actually decided to pull off the plumbing to pump number one and quickly wipe it out. Yes there was dust in the screen there, past the cartridge filter. What normally takes me about 35 minutes took three hours today. It's all good now. TA only went up 10, so who knows what was in that dust? Plus there was something from the build stuck on the pump screen, so overall it has better flow now. Yes I am overdue on the water change on it but what's another 250 gallons on top of 15000? I will do it after the pool is filled.

I am so glad they are almost done. I hosed down everything including the pavers and its now way more obvious where more sand needs to be added. I did text the PB (no reply) but I guess maybe I can put some polymeric sand in instead if they don't add any more. It very well might be worth it.

Got a shipping notification for the TF-100. So it should be timed just about right. Thanks for the discount. I would have supported this group without it. :)

This upcoming week and next week are supposedly the home stretch. We might yet have a couple of weeks to swim in it before it gets too cold after all.

Good job doing the cleaning! That dust gets everywhere and even some places you wonder HOW but it does!

Thanks for the support! Helps us be here for you down the road and as others finds us :hug:

Here is hoping it does get done before the polar bears come out!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The upside down alarm part is another nanny state thing. The cables are super short to keep people from trying to use the thing for two window panes. Which would not work. Unfortunately when you need to run it through a wall, then you have to mount it upside down to make the run work. It is designed to be mounted either right side up or upside down but not sideways. It works fine that way.

Really it is designed to be taken out right after the code inspector leaves but mine will stay with the pool...
Yup.... when my mom put in a pool.. and they had to put one of those things on all doors leading to back yard... one of those doors was on my 90 year old grandmother bedroom.. every time she opened the door to let the cat or dog out.. the alarm when off and darn near gave her a stroke! :shock: We disconnected before the inspectors came..

Our PB just gave us a city form to fill out where we can check the box that says we have an alarm already to save the inspector the time and effort to inspect the back door.

Make silly rules, get silly responses.

Last edited:
i had an entire summer like that...hang in there!
So did I. I do have to schedule my paid time off a few days in advance. If it slips I will be a tad bit upset because I can get into a minor amount of trouble for changing it on short notice. Though I did warn everyone that it's likely...

Our PB just gave us a city form to fill out where we can check the box that says we have an alarm already to save the inspector the time and effort to inspect the back door.

Make silly rules, get silly responses.
I wish. The only thing they have to complain about here is barriers... That is what delayed me six weeks in the first place... I am sure I will get a full critique of my install...

Electrical work is done. I am maybe falsely assuming that the Intermatic timer is set up for the lights? The Hayward VS has its own timers on it, so I would imagine that is how they set it up? There is a switch in the panel as well for the lights and that will end up having a TP-Link Kasa switch installed in its place anyway. So I suspect the timer will always be in bypass. I guess that could change when I add a SWCG to the system unless there is an output from the VS pump.

All sorts of toys I paid double for showed up too. CYA, thichlor, muriatic acid, brush, pole, leaf rake, hangars, etc. Two packs of cal hypo that I am tempted to throw away... We don't need any more calcium in the water here. Oh an expensive solar cover that probably won't last the 6 years they claim it will... All sorts of goodies I suppose.

They used EMT and compression fittings outside above the ground which is a little annoying to me. It technically makes code, but it's a cheapy way of doing the job. I will definitely paint it as soon as I can. IMG_20190910_173422325.jpg
IMG_20190910_173739102_HDR.jpgIMG_20190910_173437466.jpgIMG_20190910_173525848.jpgIMG_20190910_173730698_HDR.jpg

Of course what I missed until I got home is that the gate guy came to measure for the gate... And well, the masons apparently were supposed to come yesterday so he was a bit po'ed since he drove 35 miles to come out and measure. And the columns weren't done... I suspect we won't make that schedule now...."A" team indeed... I am a bit miffed as I suspect that I will have to take a third day of paid time off now...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.