Contemplating switching from pebblesheen to quartz last minute

JenniferMarie90

Feb 16, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Hi there. My husband and I originally wanted to go with pebble sheen for its durability. A friend of mine has 10 year old pebbletec and I had no issues swimming in her pool, however I only floated around on a swim saddle. I plan to kick off the side of walls, use diving sticks, swim close to the bottom of the pool, do some water exercises, etc. I went to see pebble sheen in person yesterday and I’m worried it may be too rough for these types of activities. I know rough is subjective but I’m curious if people who have pebblesheen here have kids who play in the pool and it’s all good? It’s making me consider quartz sort of last minute...

Not sure how old your kids are. I had stonescape mini pebble in my previous pool and it was fine for my 4 year old. Certainly it's a little rougher and if the kiddos are rambunctious it could cause some more scrapes. I had a quartz finish before that pool and for me, it wasn't a big enough difference to worry about it. Others may have different stories though. For me, the durability is important and why I will do a pebble finish on the pool we're starting.

There are different types of pebble finishes with different level of roughness. So you have to be specific on what finish is being discussed and the opinions on its roughness.

Pebbletec is different then Pebblesheen. All pebble finishes are too rough for me. I don’t see why folks put up with a rough pool finish for years because it may last a bit longer. I had a Hydrazoo smooth finish that lasts 20+ years. There are many folks who have had early failures of their pebble finish. Don’t get too caught up in the marketing hype.

Reactions: JHCB and usfbull
Yeah pebbletec was definitely too rough snd I had been told pebblesheen was muuuch smoother but I was surprised when I went yesterday that it wasn’t “much smoother” in my opinion. My contractor doesn’t recommend any other pebble products but he also prefers quartz himself

Yeah pebbletec was definitely too rough snd I had been told pebblesheen was muuuch smoother but I was surprised when I went yesterday that it wasn’t “much smoother” in my opinion. My contractor doesn’t recommend any other pebble products but he also prefers quartz himself
I have PebbleSheen and I like it, but it certainly would not be "muuuch smoother". We dont have problems with cut feet or anything like that, but if you are looking for smooth go with another product.

Not sure how old your kids are. I had stonescape mini pebble in my previous pool and it was fine for my 4 year old. Certainly it's a little rougher and if the kiddos are rambunctious it could cause some more scrapes. I had a quartz finish before that pool and for me, it wasn't a big enough difference to worry about it. Others may have different stories though. For me, the durability is important and why I will do a pebble finish on the pool we're starting.

So I don’t have kids but I plan on playing in the pool myself lol

Everyone says that pebble is way harder on feet and it really gets sensitive parts... It is great for lasting as the pebble is way harder than plaster.. There is the pebble that gets sanded down and that is really smooth and long lasting but it is more expensive (not a pebble tec product) Finest Finish Home page - Finest Finish Pools I cant find the video of them sanding the finish down but I have seen them.. :)

pebble fina looks to be the smoothest Pebble Fina Pool Finishes - Pebble Tec

Everyone says that pebble is way harder on feet and it really gets sensitive parts... It is great for lasting as the pebble is way harder than plaster.. There is the pebble that gets sanded down and that is really smooth and long lasting but it is more expensive (not a pebble tec product) Finest Finish Home page - Finest Finish Pools I cant find the video of them sanding the finish down but I have seen them.. :)

pebble fina looks to be the smoothest Pebble Fina Pool Finishes - Pebble Tec

I haven’t heard much good about pebble fina but I did ask my PB today about wet edge. He’s not familiar but will make some calls. I think it’s a polished pebble

I don't think Sheen is smooth at all. It just has smaller pebbles. I was going to get quartz for smoothness but found Stonescapes micro pebble. We haven't gotten in the pool yet since it's cold but it feels pretty smooth to my hand. I'm very pleased with it. If I hadn't found it I would have gone with quartz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The only issue I’m having is I’m a bit detailed oriented and I think the mottling would drive me nuts

You have to expect all plaster pools will have some mottling. Some more then others. Pebble pools are plaster pools with pebbles embedded in plaster.

If you want a perfect looking pool as it ages then get a vinyl liner pool. Then it will just fade.

You should look at Wet Edge Primera Stone. Pebble with glass beads that is sanded down. It is AS SMOOTH as plaster and you can refinish it 2-3 times when/if it gets dull. Lots of mottling with quartz from the pools I’ve seen in person.
I’m VERY interested in this product. There is only one installer in my city and my PB is having a hard time getting them to call him back. I left a message myself today so crossing my fingers!

We have Pebblesheen in our pool, which was built by the previous owners. For the most part I don't mind the mild roughness, although I have had some pool scrapes on the top of my feet and my kids have scraped their legs/feet occasionally from the finish. You sort of learn how to play in the pool without hurting yourself but you should expect to get bit once in a while. I find that it actually helps when playing pool volleyball in terms of getting a grip on the bottom of the pool. If I was to redo the surface, which we probably will in the coming years, I would select a smoother product but I can live with this for now.

I appreciate this feedback a lot. I am also considering pebble fina. The Grigio color is quite nice. I felt the product in person the other day and it was nice and smooth but had a little bit of grip, markedly less than than the sheen though

I appreciate this feedback a lot. I am also considering pebble fina. The Grigio color is quite nice. I felt the product in person the other day and it was nice and smooth but had a little bit of grip, markedly less than than the sheen though

I have the Pebble Fina and am extremely happy with it. I would agree that it is pretty smooth, with just the right amount of grip. It's very comfortable. Also, costs less than the other pebble tec finishes. Not nearly as rough as the Pebble Sheen. You can see pictures in the build link in my signature.

Yours looks so great I have seen a lot of inconsistencies with installation in other pics so I’m nervous about getting crew F for the day applying it...
I think that's an issue with any colored finish. Mine has some mottling, but I'm the only one who notices -- I think that's true for most pool owners, they notice all the imperfections but no on else ever does. Also keep in mind that the people who are happy with theirs are less likely to take the time to go online and post up pictures and complaints than the few with horror stories.

Darker and vibrant colors are more risky. I would think the Grigio color you are looking at would have much less propensity for mottling than a deeper blue color.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.