Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
I'm getting tired of lugging bleach from HD every month and awful jealous of you guys bragging about your salt pools! Pool details are in the signature. I am not sure where to start as far as where to shop and what to buy. I am a DIYer so I would like a place that will honor the warranty without having a pro install it. This isn't my first pool, or first time plumbing/running power so I am pretty confident. I know the salt cell has a flow switch, but I am guessing I will wire it to my timer so it only runs when the pump runs. However, I would like to upgrade to a VS sometime in the future and it looks like a lot of them have their own controls which means they need to be powered 24/7. How does that work? Mostly I am looking for what size I need and where I should buy from.

It is suggested that your cell is capable of somewhere around twice the capacity of your pool. If you are considering automation, it is much easier to stay with the same manufacturer (pump, swg, and automation). If no automation, Circupool has been popular for DIY. Since you already have a timer you can continue to use it with a vs pump; just set the timer to come on when the pump is running. You can run your pump from the line side of the timer so it will be constantly powered.

Circupool seems to have a few product lines.. Any suggestions? So for my 11300 gal pool I would want a salt cell rated for at least 23000ish correct?

I just posted this on another thread, but it applies here, so I’ll repost it with a few small changes.

There are really three factors to consider for SWG cell size:

First is the pump runtime. If you have a variable speed pump that you run at low speed 24 hours a day, then you could have a longer runtime on the SWG and get by with a smaller cell. However, if you have a single speed pump or otherwise want to limit the pump runtime then that indicates a SWG with larger cell so it can produce enough chlorine during the short runtime.

Second, is the weather (in particular, sun and UV). More direct sun means more UV and UV will burn off chlorine, so in a location with a lot of direct sun your SWG will need to work harder to make up all the chlorine that the sun burns off. A climate that doesn’t get a lot of direct sun or a pool that is mostly in the shade indicates that you could get by with a smaller SWG cell.

The final factor to consider is that on the same pool a larger cell will not need to work as hard as a smaller cell and as such the larger cell should last longer and may be a better investment over time.

One of the benefits of the RJ series is the percentage can be adjusted in 5 percent increments...other models are 25 percent steps or analog. The amount of time your pump runs and the percentage your swg is set at determines total daily output. Some Circupool models have the controller and cell in one unit, others are separate. For space saving the RJ model cell can be mounted vertically to save installation space. Really a matter of preference between the different models.

If you are using pool math, you can play with the effects of adding to really get a feel for it. If you are running a VS pump, then you want to oversize a little more than 2x. I have a Universal 40 coming tomorrow for my 13kgal pool, and based on 2.0 lbs/day and the time I run the pump the unit will be on when the pump in the current schedule is on at about 60% output. So there are advantages to going oversized. Most cells are rated for hours of generation and running a bigger one you will have it on less so in theory anyway the bigger unit will also last longer.

This unit has analog adjustment which is finer than 5%. Just saying. :). There are almost too many choices in the Circupool line for a pool your size...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks again guys. I have the single speed 1.5HP but when it bites the dust I am going VS so I will for sure over size my cell. I'm having it out with the wife... she wants a pergola, and I want a salt cell but no funds for both. Figures since I take care of the pool, and I'd much rather do some plumbing than build a pergola after fighting with my HOA for approval. I don't have automation but would like some down the road.. at least with my pump and salt cell. Valve actuators would be nice but after seeing prices I'd rather just walk around to the back of my house and turn them myself. Being able to control the salt cell and VS pump with my phone would be cool but not a deal breaker.

The way I see it, None of is are dining out, going to movies, or anything else from the entertainment budget. Might as well spend it in the backyard where we will be stuck most of the summer. The head of the CDC was saying yesterday that next winter will be worse, so we very well could be stuck at home next spring/summer too.

The way I see it, None of is are dining out, going to movies, or anything else from the entertainment budget. Might as well spend it in the backyard where we will be stuck most of the summer. The head of the CDC was saying yesterday that next winter will be worse, so we very well could be stuck at home next spring/summer too.
Not if we want to have modern civilization after that... I'm kind of laughing at the pergola vs salt cell thing... I am building a shade for all the equipment at the same time as doing the cell.... My wife seems to have a sun allergy so doing something for her might be happening too....

So I got the wife sold on the salt cell. Cheaper and easier than the pergola for now. I met her in the middle on some nice backyard furniture. A bonus is it will help me meet a min spend requirement on my new Amex that will trigger a $250 statement credit. In any case I am looking at the RJ30 or 45. I was planning on putting the cell where my inline chlorinator is now. Is there any reason I would want to keep my inline chlorinator? I only currently use it for vacations or bumping up the CYA in the summers. Also, what do you guys use to test for salt? I am guessing there is already a bit of it from all the bleach. I read some pool school articles but didn't see much on that. I did notice it said salt water could cause problems with softer natural stone? I have a waterfall on the stones that are pictured in my avatar. Is there any need to worry about this?

Last edited:
If the stones are not effected by your current pool water and natural environment, they are not likely to be effected going forward.

Replacing the inline chlorinator is a great idea.

You can get a K1766 salinity test kit from TFTestkits.net.

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.