constantly fighting holes in new liner

Jeff74 said:
In the Swim will help with the warranty of the liner. They want pics, but did specify clearly that if the problem is not in the seam, nothing is covered and is considered to be owner fault. The holes that I can see are not on the seam. Liners are supposed to last 7 months on average, my 2 have lasted 2 years and 3 months. I was just researching about the liners types, some say that the beaded is a little better quality and also more expensive.
Seven months???? Really???? That sounds crazy.

- Sent using Tapatalk

I had the same issue with tiny holes in a liner in our old home. It was ants! When we installed a pool at our new home we spread Diazanone grnules under the sand before putting in the sand and liner. I also treat around the pool once a year with diazanon. In Georgia, ants are a problem. It was just tiny little pinholes but lots of them. We have had this pool 3 years now, with no tiny ant holes at all! I would treat for ants before replacing the liner....good luck.

CindyG1 said:
I had the same issue with tiny holes in a liner in our old home. It was ants! When we installed a pool at our new home we spread Diazanone grnules under the sand before putting in the sand and liner. I also treat around the pool once a year with diazanon. In Georgia, ants are a problem. It was just tiny little pinholes but lots of them. We have had this pool 3 years now, with no tiny ant holes at all! I would treat for ants before replacing the liner....good luck.

That's what I was thinking it mihr be. Especially when the same problem re-presented itself soon after a new liner was installed.

Especially in the same spot too, that's very suspicious.

Guess what, DE works great as a bug killer too, but apparently the pool DE, since it has been heat treated for better absorption of small particles, isn't as sharp as the untreated kind for pests, so it doesn't kill them. It has to stay dry and be reapplied, but it works great, to bugs it's like a razor wire trench that they can't cross, for if they do it will surely destroy them. :)

So I second, or is it 3rd this? Anyway, pull that liner up and look underneath, betcha you'll find bug evidence. Treat it none the less as mentioned by others. Put that liner back down, patch those holes and I bet your problem will be resolved with regular application of bug stuff.

Keep us posted. :)

I did notice alot of centipedes when we replaced the liner in April, not sure if that was a problem or even how to get rid of them since they are under the liner. I did drop $200 this week to buy a new 25ga liner. It will be installed this week, hopefully. There goes another drain/refill/water waste, not to mention the chemicals that I will have to replace. I think our operating expense for our pool this summer alone is up to $650.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, we are getting ready to replace the liner with some Happy Bottom. We will be filling the pool up so we can turn around and close it for winter. We will be filling it up just under the return jet and skimmer. To close, will I still need CYA and Chlorine? Thanks.

Since you are not filling all the way, add enough bleach to the water to bring it to shock level and brush the pool to mix it in. I would wait and add the CYA when you open in the spring. It really needs the water flow from the pump to help it dissolve and mix well with the pool water. If the water temperature is above 60 you may want to go ahead and add some polyquat 60 algaecide since you won't be running the pump.

I agree with most of the previous reply. However I wonder if starting the pool out using dichlor would not be easier since you would get chlorine and cya. Using poolcalculator.com you should be able to figure out the amount of fc and cya - write the cya value down for your opening value.

Disolve the dichlor in a bucket of your fill water before adding to be sure it will mix easily and then brush as indicated above.

Remember to treat the cya level as there if you decide to raise to shock levels. Don't forget to account for the reduced volume from the lower water levels.

-sent with Tapatalk 2

I'd like to say that this is the best forum for pool owners on the entire net. I have come back to this forum to help figure out and solve pool issues, and I have always found the answer here!

I have had the same problem with pinholes this summer, with my 3-year-old above ground pool. I thought it was moles burrowing around the edges of the pool (which has happened), and gnawing on the liner from underneath. I patched about 15 pinholes in June, spread mole repellent around the perimeter of the pool, and thought I had the problem solved. Until yesterday.

Last week, I closed and covered the pool. I noticed on Friday that the water level under the cover seemed low, and by Saturday morning, I could see it was VERY low. I checked the water level through the skimmer, and could feel that the water level was even below the level of the return hole! With a sinking feeling, I started looking for evidence of leaks around the outside perimeter of the pool, and soon found an area of squishy, very fluid mud. With a sigh and a curse, I gathered the troops and took off the cover, got into the very cold, waist-deep pool, and started looking for pinholes. Found about 12, all in the area of the leak I found on the outside. I gathered the patching kit and goggles, and started patching all the pinholes. It, in short, sucked in that cold water. :)

I started refilling last night, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there won't be more pinholes in January. Reading this thread, I'm considering pulling the liner, putting down insecticide, and refilling now, like Jeff74. As much as I don't want to do that, I definitely don't want to have to deal with leaks and patching during the winter. :x

Well, looks like I am bringing this thread back to life. We have had the pool open (with a new liner) and everything has been fine up until this evening. We noticed that our problem area is having issues again. We noticed a stream of water running down the hill and the water level had dropped about an inch in the last day. I started diving with my goggles on and found 5 pinholes in the liner in the same place we had problems with our last liner last year. So, I guess this makes 4 liners in 4 years. I also noticed that the water was a bit cloudy, so I checked the chlorine and found that there wasn't any! Our 2 year old SWG decided to quit working, so now I will to find a solution for that. Our pool is turning into a money pit. I will be discussing with the wife about taking the pool down after only 4 years and call it a mistake and a failure. The only problem is, we have a deck built around 1/2 the pool; not sure what to do with that.

Jeff74,
I'm so sorry to hear you are still dealing /w pool troubles. This doesn't sound fun at all indeed.
I can only begin to imagine what frustrations you must be having and what you're going through.

If it were my pool, I would do the following.
Seeing as you have dealt with this so much and clearly being a bug problem, so it sounds anyway, I would call in an exterminator. Take care of it once & for all.
Personally, I of course wouldn't really want to spend the money on it, being I like to do things myself. But sometimes you have to know when to call it quits and call in the pros. This case the pro being an exterminator.
I think it'd be money well spent, not only in cash, but in your time and alleviating your ongoing and future frustrations.

Even if you just call them out for a consult on the situation, for their expert opinion as to the problem being bugs or not, what sort of bugs if any they're familiar with in your area that'd do this sort of thing and their thoughts on the probability of treating & resolving the situation before you lose another liner. Hopefully all without having to replace yet another liner.
Even just having some guidance should help you decide what to do further and how to proceed.
Who knows, maybe the bug guy, or gal, has seen this sort of thing before in your area. Industry experts are amazing with what they know in their field and what they have seen. Their experience can't even begin to be measured, let alone a price tag put on it, when they're good & know their stuff!!

I would give it at least some serious thought and do ultimately do it even if you did put down a bug killer as was suggested. As we all know, sometimes the bugs can just be too persistent for out feeble attempts. Which, btw, did you put down bug killer?

Do you see any evidence of bugs, do you have an ant problem in that area, beatles, etc..?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.