Bronze Supporter
Feb 12, 2019
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Have been self managing our pool/spa combo for over 10 years. Until the recent (2 months ago) replaster, was using chlorine tabs with an inline feeder (yes, CYA was always high) and the pH as well as other chems were very steady. pH stayed around 7.3-7.4 during the summer with no help needed. I would add MA during the off season to keep pH below 7.8, due to chlorine tab disolve rate being lower because of lower water temps. After finding TFP this spring, I've switched to liquid bleach and no tabs.

Immediately after the replaster two months ago, I was adding 28 oz MA daily to keep pH down around 7.2-7.5. After advice from others, I've let pH float up to the 8.0 range. I'm now adding 16 oz MA daily to lower pH each morning from 8.0 to about 7.8. I've been locked here for several weeks. Spillway is on 2x/day only to keep water chemistry the same. TA is 70. See my logs for other details. Fill water is pH >8, TA 50. Any way to mitigate the acid demand? Does it just take lots of time for the plaster to cure? This is making travel/vacation very difficult to manage!

It can take up to a year for the plaster to stop contributing to pH rise. As you keep the pH in range, the TA should slowly lower which will slow the pH rise.

If your CYA is not too high, you can use the tablets for vacation time.

Definitely planning to switch back to 3" trichlor tabs while we're away. I'll get dissolve rate lined out to about one (8 oz) tab per day. According to Pool Math, that gets me an FC rise of 3/day and a pH lowering of 0.2/day. The FC rise is reasonably consistent with my daily UV loss, so I'm good there. The problem is pH which is currently rising ~0.4-0.45/day. If I punch the pH down to something like 6.8, I could mathematically leave for about 6ish days before CSI climbs too high. So for an upcoming 13 day cruise I guess I'll have to try and hire a pool service company for a short period and two visits.

I was wondering if borates would help with this issue but after reading more in this forum it doesn't appear so. I previously posted about automatic MA addition, but after further review, this looks more problematic than the benefit it offers. Only time.....

pH does not rise linearly. The lower you take it, the faster it rises. I think you might be overthinking it a bit on the pH. Getting a little high for a few days is no big deal

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.