Earl74

May 17, 2021
Fort Dodge, IA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello- New to the group so thanks in advance! Just bought a house with an in ground pool. Working on getting the pool up to speed. My question is: Based on my filter pressure diff. I’m having to backwash about every 30 minutes of my pump running/filtering. Pool water is cloudy but not much for debris. Based on what I’ve read I shouldn’t have to be backwashing even close to this much. Please help!!

Attachments

• 3DBB8267-87C3-43C5-86AD-935026552052.jpeg
    3DBB8267-87C3-43C5-86AD-935026552052.jpeg
    605.8 KB · Views: 10
  • C91A4AFE-CAAC-4D15-881A-6F4C67AFCC68.jpeg
    C91A4AFE-CAAC-4D15-881A-6F4C67AFCC68.jpeg
    603.4 KB · Views: 10
Hey there Earl, conga-rats on the new house! :cool:

Your sand filter may just be dirty- have you opened it up and taken a look inside?? A good sand deep clean is warranted also since you don't know what those *other people* may have done to the pool, amirite?

What you need to know is the base filter pressure when clean, then only backwash when the pressure rises 25%. We say that because a "slightly" dirty filter actually helps the filter work.

Now as to your cloudy water- that is a chemistry problem, not a filtering problem. How are you testing you water??
We need to know (from a TFP approved kit) these elements:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt if applicable

Two approved test kits- TF-100/TF-100Pro or Taylor K-2006C www.tftestkits.net for first, Amazon for latter. I prefer the TF-100

How did the *other people* sanitize the pool? We hope they avoided pool store potions and lotions and icky things that mess up a pool more than help one. Any idea what they used? Did they leave anything behind we can see?

How do YOU want to chlorinate your pool?

GIve us more info on the pool. Its equipment, size, type of pool, chemicals used, testing, ect. That's gonna help us figure this out.
Thanks.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Earl74
Yippee- Thnx for the quick reply. I have a meeting after work but I’ll try to answer most of your questions after that. Yes gauge reads 0 with pump off starts at 10 psi after backwash. I’ve been letting it filter to 20 psi before next backwash or I would only be filtering for 5-10 minutes between backwashes. I’ll get the preferred sampling kit ordered tonight!

Every year when the pollen falls, I'm having to backwash my sand filter every 30-60 min. Sounds like you have some pollen or algae so perhaps not unexpected. Post your pool chemistry results when you can. In the meanwhile, you may want to do a preemptive SLAM.

Your sand filter may just be dirty- have you opened it up and taken a look inside?? A good sand deep clean is warranted also since you don't know what those *other people* may have done to the pool, amirite?

What you need to know is the base filter pressure when clean, then only backwash when the pressure rises 25%. We say that because a "slightly" dirty filter actually helps the filter work.

Now as to your cloudy water- that is a chemistry problem, not a filtering problem. How are you testing you water??
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt if applicable

Two approved test kits- TF-100/TF-100Pro or Taylor K-2006C www.tftestkits.net for first, Amazon for latter. I prefer the TF-100

How did the *other people* sanitize the pool? We hope they avoided pool store potions and lotions and icky things that mess up a pool more than help one. Any idea what they used? Did they leave anything behind we can see?

GIve us more info on the pool. Its equipment, size, type of pool, chemicals used, testing, ect. That's gonna help us figure this out.
Thanks.

FC 1-2
PH 7.8
ALK 240
Hardness 800
CYA 0
These were our numbers last night using test strips.
Previous owners left clarifier, granular chlorine, and pucks.
We just hope to chlorinate with bleach/shock.
Pool is a 19x40 oval
Main drain and skimmer aren’t standard setups. 😠. More info later, off to work.

My bet's on algae. Until your test kit arrives, you might start reviewing the SLAM Process page and finding good sources of chlorine. Don't add anything to the water for now except about 1/2 gallon of liquid chlorine or regular bleach. If there truly is no CYA in the water, the chlorine will go fast (sun UV), but at least its something. Don't try to do too much until you receive the kit, then we'll look for those test results.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt if applicable

GIve us more info on the pool. Its equipment, size, type of pool, chemicals used, testing, ect. That's gonna help us figure this
E69C2E30-556D-4477-9394-4C16A7FD8861.jpeg Opened up my filter and found a lot of this. Does this explain my “constant backwashing”? Channeling in only one spot. Assuming I need to replace my sand.?.?

As long as no floc or clarifiers were ever added, should be no need to replace, just do a thorough sand deep clean. See below.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As long as no floc or clarifiers were ever added, should be no need to replace, just do a thorough sand deep clean. See below.

Not sure about floc but the previous owner’s must of used clarifiers as they left a partial bottle behind. A sand deep clean won’t break up the rock hard chunks will it?

A sand deep clean won’t break up the rock hard chunks will it?
Rats! I'm afraid not Earl. Sorry. :( In this case, you would be better served to just dump and start over. After that though, a deep clean every year or two is all you need as sand will never go bad as long as it's not contaminated.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt if applicable

Thanks.

Here is what the previous owners left me.

Attachments

• 69B71D22-D1BD-437F-BFA9-5E8BB909D141.jpeg
    69B71D22-D1BD-437F-BFA9-5E8BB909D141.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 3CC549A9-769D-4E3B-A920-861E9574CB3F.jpeg
    3CC549A9-769D-4E3B-A920-861E9574CB3F.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 6
  • C1D16BE0-5308-4479-BD6C-A86C72014533.jpeg
    C1D16BE0-5308-4479-BD6C-A86C72014533.jpeg
    476.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 13085A8B-12D3-437D-967E-374788236E74.jpeg
    13085A8B-12D3-437D-967E-374788236E74.jpeg
    324.1 KB · Views: 8
  • E8D0F4A0-9022-4A96-BBC2-7EB4EC217312.jpeg
    E8D0F4A0-9022-4A96-BBC2-7EB4EC217312.jpeg
    380 KB · Views: 7
You won't need the Bioguard or Clarifier. Those are trouble. You can keep the tabs for times when you are away from home for a few days and need to put some in a floater. But don't use tabs on a regular basis. Is that a pipe fitting that broke loose?

You won't need the Bioguard or Clarifier. Those are trouble. You can keep the tabs for times when you are away from home for a few days and need to put some in a floater. But don't use tabs on a regular basis. Is that a pipe fitting that broke loose?
Previous owners failed to mention details of the pool. Original floor drain and skimmer piping had apparently failed at some point and this was their fix.
Pipe on the left runs down the wall and ends by the floor drain this acts as the main drain.
Pipe on the right had an in the wall skimmer duct taped, rubber bungeed, & plumber strapped to it. Skimmer was laying in the bottom of the pool when we uncovered it this spring!

• Wow
Reactions: YippeeSkippy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.