Consistently Rising PH

Litlat

Gold Supporter
May 31, 2019
Orange, CA
Hello,
I have read many of the previous posts on rising PH. I am also aware that agitation raises PH. But I assumed, incorrectly, it was serious agitation (waterfall, spa jets, etc.) you guys were referring to. What I didn't know was just the spillover from the spa to the pool raises PH. My spillover is roughly 6 5/8" (it's a faux rock coping) into the pool. I am switching to a SWCG soon which also raises PH. If I turn off the spillover I am concerned one or the other won't get it's water turned over. What do you owners of older pool and spas do about water circulation (sanitation), have the valves set one way for awhile then switch them? Or am I worried about nothing? The neighbors said the pool and spa were built back in the mid- 1980's. Many thanks!

~Mike

The SWCG does not raise the pH of pool water.
I assume you do not have automation to operate the spa.
If so, limit the spillover volume as much as you can. Also push the TA lower and consider borates.

The SWCG does not raise the pH of pool water.
I assume you do not have automation to operate the spa.
If so, limit the spillover volume as much as you can. Also push the TA lower and consider borates.
mknauss,
I believe we have limited automation. The outside controller is an older model AquaLogic/ Goldline. We also have a wireless Goldline controller inside as well. The valves are Jandy hard-wired back to the controller.
Are you thinking program the pool to run for X then have it automatically (if possible) switch over to the spa? Thus insuring all the chemicals get spread about...
We do not have owner's manuals for any of the pool equipment (except for the stuff I've purchased).
I'll see if I can get them through an internet search.

Thanks,
Mike

I am looking to see if your system can handle a Spillover setting. Such that the suction is from pool and return to spa.

Does your automation handle the VS pump?
I do not have it do anything but turn the pump on and off.
I run the pump at 2000 RPMs. If we want to use the spa I have to walk over to the pump and hit button #4 )the highest setting).
Not sur I answered your question. Sorry if I didn't.

We had the pebble tec re-done recently and their "start-up" guy jacked with my settings on the pump. I've straightened out most of it, but the pump will go from 2000 RPMs to 1000 RPMs on it's own at random times during the week. I'm thinking about hitting the factory reset button and starting over.

I wouldn’t worry about trying to manage pH through controlling your spa. I have a spa spillover with no control over it, other than limiting the flow. It has a layered shale spillover, so it creates more aeration than the typical spillover. I also run a chiller every day for 17 hours/day all summer, which also adds to the aeration, much more so than the spa. I usually only add a pint of acid each week to keep pH in check. We’ve had an incredibly dry summer, so I’ve had more evaporation this year and I’ve had to fill my pool 2-3 times per week. My fill water has high pH and high TA, so I’m adding acid a little more frequently, but it still takes less than 10 minutes per week.

Lowering your TA to 50-60 can help, at least it did for me.

I wouldn’t worry about trying to manage pH through controlling your spa. I have a spa spillover with no control over it, other than limiting the flow. It has a layered shale spillover, so it creates more aeration than the typical spillover. I also run a chiller every day for 17 hours/day all summer, which also adds to the aeration, much more so than the spa. I usually only add a pint of acid each week to keep pH in check. We’ve had an incredibly dry summer, so I’ve had more evaporation this year and I’ve had to fill my pool 2-3 times per week. My fill water has high pH and high TA, so I’m adding acid a little more frequently, but it still takes less than 10 minutes per week.

Lowering your TA to 50-60 can help, at least it did for me.
Thanks jark87.
My PH climbs from 7.4 to 7.6 everyday. I add 13oz (per the Taylor booklet) of acid everyday to keep it in check.

On another note. I was concerned about the water dropping so much everyday I did a bucket evaporation test this past weekend. I lose an 1" a day to the sun :-(

I do all my testing prior to pool fills.

~Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My PH climbs from 7.4 to 7.6 everyday.
7.6 is fine. I usually don’t lower mine until I’m pushing 8. There are lots of threads here on managing pH and finding the right pH/TA levels where they’ll “stabilize.” For some pools, that means pH around 7.8, for others it’s lower. Unfortunately, my pool tends to run on the high side, but I can’t even think about keeping it steady because of my fill water. Both pH and TA are running high and there’s really nothing I can do about it other than increasing the frequency of my MA additions. Not a big deal.

7.6 is fine. I usually don’t lower mine until I’m pushing 8. There are lots of threads here on managing pH and finding the right pH/TA levels where they’ll “stabilize.” For some pools, that means pH around 7.8, for others it’s lower. Unfortunately, my pool tends to run on the high side, but I can’t even think about keeping it steady because of my fill water. Both pH and TA are running high and there’s really nothing I can do about it other than increasing the frequency of my MA additions. Not a big deal.
Copy. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.