Considering trying In The Swim's Black Algaecide...am I crazy?

Jul 30, 2017
Hartwell, GA
I was out of town last week, during which my chlorine levels dropped to zero (poor planning on my part) and we also had torrential rain. When I returned home to Hartwell, GA, I was greeted by a pool that looked more like a pond - specifically it had green / yellow algae all over, along with what I now understand to be black algae (photo included). I now have the green / yellow algae under control thanks to copious amounts of bleach along with calcium hypochlorite, and I've turned my attention to the dreaded black algae.

I've read the TFP blog post and many threads about treatment, but I'm concerned because this stuff is is not only on the walls of the pool, but also scattered as little dots all over the shallow-to-deep end slope and the deep end itself (8 ft). Given the broad distribution of algae, the task of scrubbing with a wire brush is extremely daunting, and spot-treating with a chlorine puck is, dare I say, impossible (at least for me).

I have seen it said NUMEROUS times NOT TO USE commercially-available "black algaecide" because it is a copper product, and copper should not be introduced into a pool environment. That being said, there are certainly many reviews of these products which suggest they do in fact clear up black algae (at least for a while). If I'm just trying to get through the rest of the summer with a usable pool, after which I am considering replastering (I was already thinking of this), would it be terrible to try a copper-based algaecide?

I always appreciate the feedback on these forums...even if you think I'm an idiot for asking this question! I do test regularly, and my latest test results this weekend were as follows:

FC: 5
CC: 0
pH: 7.6
TA: 85
CH: 350
CYA: 20 (cloudy test water, but not opaque)

Black Algae.JPG

LOL - well, I do have a little bit of blonde hair still clinging reluctantly to my head...and I think my wife may also have something to say about this when my blonde son pops out with green hair! :)

Your input is most certainly appreciated, and it sounds like I need to stick to the tried-and-true per the TFP black algae process and skip the "miracle in a bottle" cures for now.

Thanks again,
Brian

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.