Considering SWG

ciaka

Jun 10, 2020
Austin, TX
I have 34000 gal inground pool.
Texas, and yeah, it's hot and long.
I average about 2-2.5FC ppm daily on average. That's a lot if chlorine. Thinking to convert to SWG.

Any advice on below questions? Thank you.

1. Any recommendation for brand ro choose?
2. How do I choose size? I would think bit oversize? No? Yes?
3. How hard are these to install diy. I am mechanically inclined.
4. Any other advice ir concerns?
Thank you.

You want one rated for 2x’s your pools volume so a 60k as thats as big as they come unless you wanna do two cells. That leaves you with two brands really -
You want to compare outputs as all 60k rated units are not the same.
pentair ic60 (2#/day)
& circupool 55/60k rated ones, those all say they put out more than 2#/day.
The circupool rj60+ claims 3.1#/day. Which might be your best bet
The circupool brand is diy friendly as far as warranty is concerned.
The pentair is not & you get a reduced warranty for diy applications.

They aren’t hard to install.
Your signature says you have a nature 2 fusion. You could put the new cell in its place.
Show us your equipment pad.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
You will also need a way to ensure the swg can only operate when the pump is running (aside from the flow switch).
Most people use a timer for this or possibly a relay depending upon if you have automation.
Show us what you have for recommendations there.
My swg & pump are on the same timer so it is quite simple. They both turn off & on at the same time.
Some people have 2 timers - 1 for the pump & 1 for the swg that they synchronize.
Ideally you would set the swg to come on at least 30 minutes after the pump comes on & off at least 30 minutes before the pump shuts off.

I use a pureline cell with my hayward “brain” & so far so good. I am getting the the advertised output as far as I can tell.
The warranty & cell life expectancy is lower than the other circupool & pentair options but this is reflected in the price.

Reactions: markayash
I use a pureline cell with my hayward “brain” & so far so good. I am getting the the advertised output as far as I can tell.
The warranty & cell life expectancy is lower than the other circupool & pentair options but this is reflected in the price.
And the warranty is only good if the company backs it up and I had issues getting my Edge Cell replaced when it died early.
What I have learned here is some similar systems had issues with high salt and even if they fixed it when they " make a similar" system I don't let my salt get above 3200 if I can help it.

You want one rated for 2x’s your pools volume so a 60k as thats as big as they come unless you wanna do two cells. That leaves you with two brands really -
You want to compare outputs as all 60k rated units are not the same.
pentair ic60 (2#/day)
& circupool 55/60k rated ones, those all say they put out more than 2#/day.
The circupool rj60+ claims 3.1#/day. Which might be your best bet
The circupool brand is diy friendly as far as warranty is concerned.
The pentair is not & you get a reduced warranty for diy applications.

They aren’t hard to install.
Your signature says you have a nature 2 fusion. You could put the new cell in its place.
Show us your equipment pad.

Here's the pad

20230910_152147.jpg

Attachments

• 20230910_171509.jpg
    20230910_171509.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230910_171604.jpg
    20230910_171604.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230910_171613.jpg
    20230910_171613.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230910_171622.jpg
    20230910_171622.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Wow that’s alot of stuff going on.
I see you also have uv - both it & the nature2fusion could go to free up space & make things less complicated.
If your pool was smaller you could convert to the fusion soft (same plumbing profile) but unfortunately it’s largest cell size is not sufficient for your volume & location.
I don’t see any automation control panel - do you have one?
Let’s see what @Newdude & @PoolStored would do in your situation.

The 40k Jandy cell wouldn't be the end of the world with a VS pump, they'd just need to run it about 20 hours a day in the peak season to produce enough FC. Many of us run 24/7 anyway.

But I wouldn't like it for the ROI. Buying smaller cells hurts as the biggest cost is buying 'a' swg. Buying a bigger swg costs much less by comparison.

So I'd go with a 60k unit for better ROI with long TX seasons. Even if that meant I had to manually adjust it (once every 2 to 6 weeks) because I had a different brand of automation. If there's no automation here it's even easier to make that decision.

I added more pics to show automation. Aqualink, power distribution, and there is an ac outlet below automation, 2 connections, both unused, active.

The nature2fusion I not active, no cartridge inside at all.
If I had to do it over again, I would have refused the uv and nature2 units for sure. Well, ypu live and learn.
How hard is it to hook up swg to automation.
Great thanks for help.
I live just east of Austin TX if any of u are in the area for a chat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You really have two choices.

Use a Jandy cell and allow the Aqualink to control the cell and output...as @Newdude indicated, will have to run almost full time in your locale.

You can wire the RJ60 power to the pump relay so the SWG is powered when the pump is powered and is off when the pump is off. This ensures the cell is not on when the pump is off.

I have a Pureline 60k SWG with Jandy automation, integrated spa, and a non-Jandy VS pump.

It took a bit of finagling to come up with a foolproof way to get the VS pump, automation and SWG to work properly together, but i got it to work in the end. If you go with a non-Jandy SWG, you want to make sure it is always powered off whenever the pump isn't running, and when you're using the spa (so as not to over-chlorinate the spa). Jandy automation does allow you to do this with the Spare Relay set to switch off in spa mode. Check my other threads/pics if you'd like to see how mine is set up.

I have a Pureline 60k SWG with Jandy automation, integrated spa, and a non-Jandy VS pump.

It took a bit of finagling to come up with a foolproof way to get the VS pump, automation and SWG to work properly together, but i got it to work in the end. If you go with a non-Jandy SWG, you want to make sure it is always powered off whenever the pump isn't running, and when you're using the spa (so as not to over-chlorinate the spa). Jandy automation does allow you to do this with the Spare Relay set to switch off in spa mode. Check my other threads/pics if you'd like to see how mine is set up.
Not to thread hijack but … How many seasons have you had the pureline? I assume you have a lengthy pool season?

Installed this past spring, and with highs in the upper 90s our pool season is still in full swing!

I'm currently at 45% output with our VSP running 18 hours a day. Great performance so far and the components seem to be of good quality.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.