Considering cost of chlorine, anyone started using Copper Sulfate?

TCAL

Aug 7, 2018
CA Orange County
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
As title said. Is it more economical/sensible to use copper sulphate and having low chlorine levels? My CYA is 80-90 so chlorine has become an little bit of an issue. Im not sure I want to drain 1/3 of my pool with CA water issues. So thinking using less chlorine and using copper to keep algae at bay. Thoughts?

As title said. Is it more economical/sensible to use copper sulphate and having low chlorine levels? My CYA is 80-90 so chlorine has become an little bit of an issue. Im not sure I want to drain 1/3 of my pool with CA water issues. So thinking using less chlorine and using copper to keep algae at bay. Thoughts?
If you stop using trichlor, your cya will go down over time by itself. Would be better to just keep using liquid chlorine.

My CYA is 80-90 so chlorine has become an little bit of an issue
Is it 80 or is it 90? How did you get the result? I do not see anything in your signature, so not sure what test kit you are using, but the answer will be important to see what to do next. Test results from a pool store for example would not be something I would use to make the next decision.

Im not sure I want to drain 1/3 of my pool with CA water issues.
I don't think I would want to do that with a 26k gallon pool either. But depending on the actual CYA result, I don't know it would be 1/3. That seems like a lot, and in your location, but depending on if you have a SWCG, and the actual CYA test result would determine where you want to be.

So thinking using less chlorine and using copper to keep algae at bay
As already mentioned, but worth repeating, copper can be an algicide, but does not provide sanitization. Yes, it may keep algae at bay, but not the other nasties that want to live in water without enough chlorine. Add to that the stains copper can do on pools, surfaces, hair, etc., its something everyone should avoid adding to their pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.