Considering a Variable Speed Pump

Aug 11, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Good Day!

I've been searching through the forums and am not finding a simple answer for my questions. Maybe there isn't one and I apologize right up front for my lack of education and perseverance.

Simply put, I'm considering replacing my 2.6 hp single speed motor ($400, I think the bearings are shot, 32,000 gallons, spa, ic-60 swg, de filter) that I run 7-8 hrs. in the evening (I live in the Phoenix, AZ area) with a variable speed pump. I really don't see how buying a vsp is going to save me money. If I'm running the pump 8 hrs per night during my peak season, how is spending $2000 on a vsp and having to run it the same amount of hours going to save me money? The only answers I've seen/read seem to suggest that I should be running my pump 24/7, which of course would save me money with a vsp. But, I don't run it 24/7. Why should I if everything works fine with my current system?

I appreciate any insight.

Respectfully,

Mason

Mason,

Running 8 hours a day will only produce about 2.5 ppm of FC per day, when running at 100%.. Do add pool store "shock" to your pool on a regular basis? If not, I'm surprised that your pool only uses 2.5 ppm per day, especially with you being in AZ. :scratch:

You do not have to run 24/7, that is just one option... I do run 24/7 as I like to generate a little chlorine all the time and I like the skimmers working all the time. I have a 3 HP IntelliFlo and run it mostly at about 1200 RPM... To run it 24/7 costs me less than $20 bucks a month.

Besides the electrical costs, my pump is so quiet when running at 1200 RPM, you have to touch the pump to make sure it is still running.. :mrgreen:

If you plan to run a VS pump at full speed most of the time, then you are correct, a VS pump is not for you.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate your time.

I rarely have to add shock to my pool. Only after we have a large group of guests, maybe. I check my FC once a week and it is typically between 4 and 6 ppm, which I understand is healthy, right?

I don't know how much my pump costs me to run. Eight hours a day during peak season can't be too much I would think. I figure replacing a $400 motor instead of installing a brand new $200 VS would be cheaper, wouldn't it? That's really my initial question; should I replace the entire thing or should I just replace the motor. Which is more cost effective in the long run?

I'm sure the VS is quieter. Yes, I would appreciate quiet, especially since I think the bearings are beginning to go.

Again, thank you for your help,

Mason

When I purchased my home in January the single speed pump ran six hours a day. It is the only thing on the meter. The electric bill was $90 for a month.
I replaced the pump with a Pentair Intelliflo. It runs 12 hours a day at 1400 rpm and two hours at 1800. My most recent bill was $29 with $10 of it being the meter charge.
I installed the pump myself so it will pay for itself in less than two years.
As others have said it is very quiet.

My PB just installed a 3/4 hp “temporary” pump instead of the vs we had ordered because it was the only thing he coukd get so we could fill the pool. it is a small pool, 6500 gallons. I understand the small single speeds will continue to be sold, but I really want to change to vs as soon as it arrives.

I'm saving 92% or so on my electric bill with a VSP pump .. in NJ that's a big deal. I run my pump 12 hrs a day, 6 @ 64 watts just to make chlorine and 6 @ 230 watts to filter water volume. My pool is also covered when not in use, helps a lot in keeping it clean....what ever way you decide to go .. best of luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jim,

Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate your time.

I rarely have to add shock to my pool. Only after we have a large group of guests, maybe. I check my FC once a week and it is typically between 4 and 6 ppm, which I understand is healthy, right?

I don't know how much my pump costs me to run. Eight hours a day during peak season can't be too much I would think. I figure replacing a $400 motor instead of installing a brand new $200 VS would be cheaper, wouldn't it? That's really my initial question; should I replace the entire thing or should I just replace the motor. Which is more cost effective in the long run?

I'm sure the VS is quieter. Yes, I would appreciate quiet, especially since I think the bearings are beginning to go.

Again, thank you for your help,

Mason
I think the deal is that you don’t need to run a VSP at full speed. The whole advantage to them is you can turn the speed down to save power. With a single speed, you are locked into the full speed.

if you run the VSP only 8 hours per day at a lower speed, you would save money vs the single speed. How much you save would depend on how slow and how much electricity in your area costs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.