Considering a salt system in Austin, Texas

Your fill water calcium level is lower than I expected. That's great news. When the time comes, exchange between 50 to 60% of the pool volume.

Following TFP recommendations, it's nearly impossible to properly manage a pool with a CYA level of 160. Target FC level is 18 ppm and minimum is 12 ppm. PH test results are not valid with FC levels above 10 ppm.

For now, keep managing the pool the best you can,, and we'll help you get set up after your water exchange.
Someone suggested that I should do more of the "mini drains" by draining to waste until it gets to skimmer level and then refilling so that the Texas sun won't hit the plaster. I'm assuming the down side, even if I do a bunch in quick succession, is that it'll waste more water. Would you just try to do a quick 50% drain/refill or mini drains/refills? Minis I feel confident I could do on my own and could start, I mean ...right now really.

Yes, doing the mini water exchanges will waste a great deal of water. Check out the article on draining. Consider a no drain water exchange. If you decide to go that route, one of our experts, @mknauss, can help sort through the details.

If you do decide on a traditional exchange, it would be best to do it overnight. While filling, you want to make sure the plaster stays moist.

Talk to your helper and find out how many gallons per hour he can drain. If he can manage about 700 GPH, draining should take about 10 hours.

Reactions: Newdude
A no drain water exchange will waste less than mini drains? I read the further reading on draining and I don't know how to calculate my DeltaT. What would I use to test for TDS? Based on that DeltaT, I would put a submersible pump in at the same time as refilling from the garden hose. Do submersible pumps have adjustable flow rates to match the hose or would I need to keep watching and turning it on and off?

A no drain water exchange will waste less than mini drains? I read the further reading on draining and I don't know how to calculate my DeltaT. What would I use to test for TDS? Based on that DeltaT, I would put a submersible pump in at the same time as refilling from the garden hose. Do submersible pumps have adjustable flow rates to match the hose or would I need to keep watching and turning it on and off?
Sorry, but I have no experience in the no drain exchange process. Would you be able to post temps of the pool water and fill water?

The unknown factor is salt level. When when was the pool last filled?

I'll ping @mknauss for assistance.

Sorry, but I have no experience in the no drain exchange process. Would you be able to post temps of the pool water and fill water?

The unknown factor is salt level. When when was the pool last filled?

I'll ping @mknauss for assistance.
The pool was filled in 2017. I've never drained the water, so it would just be whatever has been splashed out in the last 5 years.

The pool water is at 91 in the heat of day, going down to about 87-88 at night. The hose water I just tested at 83. I let it run until it was "cold" and then filled up a bucket for testing.

I calculated the Delta T a -49 using the following values:

PWTDS:
CH 500
CYA 160,
Salt (estimate) 1200

PWT:
90 degrees

FWTDS:

FWT:
83 degrees

If DeltaT is negative, then you want to extract at the lowest point and fill at the surface and at the greatest distance from the lowest point.

Having never done a No-Drain Exchange, I'm hoping to get a second opinion. Let's see if @JoyfulNoise or @mas985 can confirm.

Reactions: mknauss
I calculated the Delta T a -49 using the following values:

PWTDS:
CH 500
CYA 160,
Salt (estimate) 1200

PWT:
90 degrees

FWTDS:

FWT:
83 degrees

If DeltaT is negative, then you want to extract at the lowest point and fill at the surface and at the greatest distance from the lowest point.

Having never done a No-Drain Exchange, I'm hoping to get a second opinion. Let's see if @JoyfulNoise or @mas985 can confirm.
(90 - 1200 / 165) - (83 - 75/165)
83 - 83 = 0

I think it is a wash. There will probably be a lot of mixing either way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like the idea of a night drain. Check with your local water/sewer provider or city on rules regarding pool discharge. Some allow discharge into the street and others require it to be diverted into the sewer.

Consider renting a high volume pump from Home Depot or Lowe's. You can drain overnight and fill the following day. While you're filling, you'll be able to keep the plaster moist.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your knowledge Mark.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.