Considering a new Cleaner

React

Gold Supporter
Jul 5, 2018
Flower Mound, TX
Our pool has main drains. For the first several years, my cleaning process was to brush the pool, moving all the dust-like debris towards the main drains. Then I'd put in the pressure side vacuum. Even after vacuuming, I'd still have that dust-like debris on the bottom no matter what.

Now I have a robot and rarely brush. But also have almost no dust-like debris.

A few observations. My filter cartridges the first few years with brushing and a pressure side cleaner were quite dirty. Pressure indicated I definitely could not go all season with less than a 25% rise in pressure. Now using a robot and not brushing, but having a dust free bottom, pressure rise indicates I could pretty much go a whole season in MD without cleaning the filter. And when I did opt to clean them last weekend, they were noticeable cleaner than before.

So although you will get a bit more circulation with a main drain, my experience is that with a low efficiency (bad cleaning) vacuum (pressure side cleaner), there was more benefit to having a main drain (sucked the dust out that I stirred up). But with a robot to suck out all of the dust, I no longer have the need to have a main drain to push that type of debris towards. That said, I still appreciate having the main drain for circulation, though my pool is 8 1/2' deep. Though I have no real feel for how much difference it makes. But the drain sucks in as much water as a skimmer, because it has the same size pipe and suction pressure would be the same.

Not maybe what you were asking for, but some details on my system and thoughts.

After seeing this post (and many others) I'm set on getting rid of my suction pool cleaner. I feel like there is always something to replace/fix on it and it doesn't clean as well as I'd like it to. Spend way too much time brushing, replacing bag, etc and removes the joy of owning a pool. REALLY wish I didn't already replace practically every part on it including all hoses, fittings, AND the booster pump.

I'm going to continue doing my research on the best one to buy but in the meantime any ideas on what I can do with my old components when I get one?

Unsure when the best time to grab one is and probably should have decided to do this at the beginning of the pool season LOL

After seeing this post (and many others) I'm set on getting rid of my suction pool cleaner. I feel like there is always something to replace/fix on it and it doesn't clean as well as I'd like it to. Spend way too much time brushing, replacing bag, etc and removes the joy of owning a pool. REALLY wish I didn't already replace practically every part on it including all hoses, fittings, AND the booster pump.

I'm going to continue doing my research on the best one to buy but in the meantime any ideas on what I can do with my old components when I get one?

Unsure when the best time to grab one is and probably should have decided to do this at the beginning of the pool season LOL

Sell it all to some unsuspecting nice soul. I sold my pressure vac but never could unload the booster pump.

I'd focus on the S200, S300, S300i and M500, or twins. One of those is the vacuum for you if you want to keep it simple and mainstream.

I think you mean pressure cleaner. Keep in mind if you switch to another type of cleaner, parts wear out in time and can be costly past warranty.

Sell it all to some unsuspecting nice soul. I sold my pressure vac but never could unload the booster pump.

I'd focus on the S200, S300, S300i and M500, or twins. One of those is the vacuum for you if you want to keep it simple and mainstream.

Doubt anyone would buy it as well and figured I'd probably end up giving it away.

Thanks for the suggestion... Really unsure if I should wait until the fall (maybe deals) or bite the bullet now and grab one with the season ending. Really tired of the unsightly look of the pressure cleaner and it's inability to clean as well as I'd like.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.