Considering a Hasa Liquidator

Mar 30, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
We've had our above-ground pool open for about five seasons now and I am so unbelievably tired of manually chlorinating the pool with liquid chlorine every day. I'm considering purchasing and installing the Hasa Liquidator. A few questions:

Is it a reliable product that's fairly easy to use?
Does it cut down on pool maintenance? How often do you have to check on it and refill it?
Can they accidentally tip over or are they pretty secure?
Is the Liquidator difficult to install?
Hasa claims they have a lifetime warranty on the Liquidator. Has anyone ever tested how good their warranty actually is?
Amazon has them right now for about $270. Is this a good price? https://www.amazon.com/Hasa-Pool-Liquidator-Gallon-Standard/dp/B00SF4JJBO#customerReviews

My other option is to get an SWG but that would run me around $1,000 plus I'd still be buying salt and replacement cells in the future, so I don't know if I can justify all that extra expense. I've never had a problem with chlorine, it's just so annoying to have to dump it in every day (and everything goes wacky if I miss a day or two).

Elle, if I can call you elle, I suggest the SWG. Salt is cheap. I use a few $5 bags a year. The SWG replacement cells are cheaper than buying chlorine. And that is just the direct cost, not including your time and gasoline to get to the store.

Use your pool! Stop working on your pool! Brought to you by the SWG manufacturers association

I'm on my 8th or 9th year with the liquidator. I'm by no means a handyman but installed it with no problems. I've ordered various parts from hasa over the years and had no problem at all getting them. I put abouit a gallon of 10% in it every other day to keep it at max of 4 gallons. Makes life easier!

Is it a reliable product that's fairly easy to use? Yes. I've had a Liquidator in my old pool for almost a decade.

Does it cut down on pool maintenance? Yes.

How often do you have to check on it and refill it? Depends on your pool size on FC consumption. You definitely want the 8 gallon model.

Can they accidentally tip over or are they pretty secure? They are secure, especially when full of water. I had mine on a paver for additional stability.

Is the Liquidator difficult to install? Easy to install, especially if you use the drain plugs on your pump and heater (so you don't have to drill any holes).

Hasa claims they have a lifetime warranty on the Liquidator. Has anyone ever tested how good their warranty actually is? No problems getting a couple warranty replacement parts over the years.

All that being said, I would go with a SWG. The convenience of not having to find, buy, and haul liquid chlorine is worth it.

When I was a lifeguard in the early 1980's, we used 12.5% liquid chlorine and Muriatic Acid in tanks with injection pumps. So I was familiar with their operation.

I had looked in to various schemes to inject chlorine and the cost. I opted for the simplicity of a Salt Water pool with a SWG. No hauling chlorine (just bags of salt). The salt doesn't lose potency over time. The salt level can be read from my SWG. I now test once a week and adjust the SWG and pH. So much less work.

But there still is work, just not as much. And at the price of 10% LC (~$4/gallon), the SWG is looking like a good financial decision.

Anybody tried the new redesigned HASA liquidator yet (model 96300)? It looks like the old one is on its way out and it is almost impossible to get the spare parts kit.... and if you can find them, the cost is ridiculous. I know SWG is probably best, but I'm not there and chlorine is usually cheap and I get it from the hardware store in 2.5 gal jugs 1 mile away.

Anybody tried the new redesigned HASA liquidator yet (model 96300)? It looks like the old one is on its way out and it is almost impossible to get the spare parts kit.... and if you can find them, the cost is ridiculous. I know SWG is probably best, but I'm not there and chlorine is usually cheap and I get it from the hardware store in 2.5 gal jugs 1 mile away.
The old Liquidator should have a lifetime warranty on almost all the parts except the main tank.

After reading HASA reviews, I went and got a stenner pump and tank. Lots of threads here, search stenner. Bullet-proof! Use with a smart plug and Alexa routines. You will be happy with quality of the stenner.

Reactions: CA92807
I finally bought a new HASA Liquidator. This is the newest model and has some nice improvements over the old model. No longer do they use that cheap clear plastic hose. The new stuff is like Pex and uses true compression fittings. You tap your pool PVC lines and thread in a compression fitting. They provide the tap, but you must have a set of drill bits with a 7/16" size. There are no longer inline check valves (built onto side of the unit) and no crappy gauge to measure flow. They now have a paddlewheel device on the side of the unit. The tank has a small lid to pour in your liquid chlorine instead of that flimsy cover that always broke loose. There is no longer a funnel but a PVC pipe that carries your liquid to the bottom from the fill opening. They still use a float system and those floats are not interchangeable with the old style. The bad thing is that they no longer have a lifetime warranty. It is 1 year only. My purchase did not include enough tubing because I have to route past a spa pump/filter. I called them up before starting any work and they mailed me a 2nd coil of tubing at no charge. Since I just installed this today, I don't have any further information on how well it dispenses. Here are a couple of pictures. The 2nd picture shows the tap points where the blue tubing is attached to the pool piping.

Attachments

• HASA liquidator.jpg
    HASA liquidator.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 121
  • Liquidator tap points.jpg
    Liquidator tap points.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 126

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I finally bought a new HASA Liquidator. This is the newest model and has some nice improvements over the old model. No longer do they use that cheap clear plastic hose. The new stuff is like Pex and uses true compression fittings. You tap your pool PVC lines and thread in a compression fitting. They provide the tap, but you must have a set of drill bits with a 7/16" size. There are no longer inline check valves (built onto side of the unit) and no crappy gauge to measure flow. They now have a paddlewheel device on the side of the unit. The tank has a small lid to pour in your liquid chlorine instead of that flimsy cover that always broke loose. There is no longer a funnel but a PVC pipe that carries your liquid to the bottom from the fill opening. They still use a float system and those floats are not interchangeable with the old style. The bad thing is that they no longer have a lifetime warranty. It is 1 year only. My purchase did not include enough tubing because I have to route past a spa pump/filter. I called them up before starting any work and they mailed me a 2nd coil of tubing at no charge. Since I just installed this today, I don't have any further information on how well it dispenses. Here are a couple of pictures. The 2nd picture shows the tap points where the blue tubing is attached to the pool piping.
How is Hasa been working for you so far ?

Reactions: willygee
We've had our above-ground pool open for about five seasons now and I am so unbelievably tired of manually chlorinating the pool with liquid chlorine every day. I'm considering purchasing and installing the Hasa Liquidator. A few questions:

Is it a reliable product that's fairly easy to use?
Does it cut down on pool maintenance? How often do you have to check on it and refill it?
Can they accidentally tip over or are they pretty secure?
Is the Liquidator difficult to install?
Hasa claims they have a lifetime warranty on the Liquidator. Has anyone ever tested how good their warranty actually is?
Amazon has them right now for about $270. Is this a good price? Amazon.com : HASA Pool The Liquidator, 8 Gallon, Standard : Patio, Lawn & Garden

My other option is to get an SWG but that would run me around $1,000 plus I'd still be buying salt and replacement cells in the future, so I don't know if I can justify all that extra expense. I've never had a problem with chlorine, it's just so annoying to have to dump it in every day (and everything goes wacky if I miss a day or two).
I have had mine for about 7 years. The floats that regulate chlorinated water feeding into the system wear out and or get clogged with salt and fail, as does the output line when it gets salt clogged in there from the chlorine. If you maintain and clean the floats and the entire container regularly and replace the lines occasionally then yes it works well.

I have a Stenner Tank, but I need to buy the Stenner Pump and float. Again, I plan to use it for acid injection.

(gosh I don't even remember when I got it but it has been years and years, probably 5)
yeah, rebuilt the lines about 3 times with good luck.
despise the press to fit fittings, finally got all new screw compression fittings from McMasterCarr
snapped one of the floats one time and platiwelded it back together.
Can't find the valves; I call HASA and they say to contact the local rep and no phone call returns(NGL I do not like that/this).
Fairly easy setup.
~8 gallon never tipped, real heavy.
I would say it is easier to install than tune just right.
I top off 4 gallon about every other week(I run very low CYA with high organic loads).
I've gotten to the point where I just run the pump on high longer when demand is higher with continuously variable schedules instead of openning up the valve.
The typical valve is abysmal to adjust in my opinion.
this blue type adjustment; NO; hate these;
1666762874289.pngOnce I started running these, I was able to adjust easily;
1666762800425.pngThis time a chlorine bottle fell in and snapped both floats.
But still ordering new model now so far not green yet, been running the little m600 with micron filters on blast.
Still love it, but it is probably going to take away a boating weekend to get the new unit in....it's just been such easy sailing with this thing I took on other hobbys.
1666762198685.png
got to run a ~flow meter to adjust your daily feed just right;
(I have replaced this atleast once)

1666763168684.png
it can be a pain to readjust feed when flow changes due to filter filling and increasing head, but alot of that went away when I started running basket socks year round, barely ever have to backwash DE now. It seems like 1 per year vs. every seasonal. I've got massive trees and no lanai.
Then if you have and ORP sensor it is easier to see what it is doing all the time like with the old phin or the new ondillo/iCare wireless besides the bigger flow cell sensors that I am sure are out there.

DIY AF
1666765526860.png
Love it.

Last edited:
I just wanted to mention that my new HASA liquidator developed a leak in the tank and I am not the only one with this problem. Many people had leaks due to a bad mold that affected dozens of these units. HASA sent me a new tank at no charge, but it was a PITA dealing with having to bypass the unit and manually add chlorine. It has been working OK now. One or two times the fill valve failed to seal well and the unit overflowed. The PH needs to be kept on the low side of the acceptable range to prevent any build-up on the valve seats.

I just wanted to mention that my new HASA liquidator developed a leak in the tank and I am not the only one with this problem. Many people had leaks due to a bad mold that affected dozens of these units. HASA sent me a new tank at no charge, but it was a PITA dealing with having to bypass the unit and manually add chlorine. It has been working OK now. One or two times the fill valve failed to seal well and the unit overflowed. The PH needs to be kept on the low side of the acceptable range to prevent any build-up on the valve seats.
Just an update: The 2nd new tank has begun leaking after 9 months. Waiting on shipping and delivery of third tank. They know that it is a defective design (tank mold), but apparently they are so back logged on tanks that it is going to be a while. This is such ashamed because I really liked this unit far better than the original that came out years ago. Not sure where to go from here. Really don't want to go saltwater yet.

Reactions: Newdude
Just an update: The 2nd new tank has begun leaking after 9 months. Waiting on shipping and delivery of third tank. They know that it is a defective design (tank mold), but apparently they are so back logged on tanks that it is going to be a while. This is such ashamed because I really liked this unit far better than the original that came out years ago. Not sure where to go from here. Really don't want to go saltwater yet.
@hoosierrun - See the August posts in this thread.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.