Consider replacement pump

May 6, 2013
I posted on this yesterday, but now I'm just considering replacing the thing...

Been fighting with 2HP Jacuzzi Magnum 2HP pump since the start of this season. Replaced run capacitor and impeller. Now when I turn it on, nothing. I confirmed each individual lead at the pump is getting 115V. No hum noise, nothing. I'm going to try replacing the switch and start capacitor, but after that I'm officially done with it.

Any thoughts on what the best replacement would be? I don't really care what it costs - I figure I'm buying this pump to last for as long as possible since we're young and not planning on moving. We live in PA and generally have the pool open for 4 months out of the year. It looks like the pentair variable speed ones are the best. One question - it looks like the pool store locally (and I'm going to check with a bunch of them), is crazy expensive for the same one you can buy on Amazon ($2k at store installed for this $900 one on amazon):

https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-011018-IntelliFlo-Performance-Horsepower/dp/B007E4VWNO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499082524&sr=8-1&keywords=pentair+variable+speed+pool+pump

The warranty issue is concerning (60 days if I DIY vs I think 2 or 3 years if a "licensed installer" does it). I'm also concerned about all the settings issues associated with this - I've never worked with a variable speed before. While I'm sure I'd eventually figure it out, I'd like to have it up and running (getting a lot of grief from the wife at this point - there were many issues this year with the old pool - all wear and tear kind of stuff, but it's resulted in a lot of downtime).

I have an old school Jandy intelilink setup - it's just an on/off switch - no way to control the pump other than that (I can set timing of course, but I wouldn't be able to use the control panel I have right now to adjust the speed - not even sure if new ones support that). Since the pool has a spa I assume there is some work what needs to be done in terms of changing the pump speed whether or not it's running on the pool mode or spa mode.

Any recommendations on how to proceed here?

Jason, I would think about a 2 speed instead of a VS as the only extra thing you have is the spa. BUT a VS might be neat to have for the spa....hummm

As for the warranty I would call around and find an electrician without going through the pool store that wants to get their cuts so adds some $$$ to it.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.