Silver Supporter
Feb 1, 2015
The Woodlands TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Trying to reconnect equipment properly to PSL4.

Originally, PSL4 installed with Superflo VS pump. Quickly found that this is not ideal, and my waterfall pump had given up the ghost, so I decided to purchase Intelliflo3 as main pool/spa pump and move Superflo to waterfall duty. Here is what I did initially...
1. Removed Superflo and added Intelliflo3. Plumbed it in and reconnected power. Since Intelliflo3 has no screen, I downloaded Pentair Home App, and set up pump. Works fine, but not controlled by ScreenLogic.
2. Removed dead waterfall pump and connected Superflo. Connected power from previous pump. Superflo does not run. Then I plug in RS-485 cable. Superflo runs fine. However, this cable was originally set up to run Superflo as main pump. So Superflo is powered by Aux 2 relay and controlled by Filter/Spa relay.
3. The wifi antenna is connected to Comport J20. I have read that I need to connect the Intelliflo3 to the J20 in order for ScreenLogic to control it. Is it OK to connect both wifi antenna and Intelliflo3 data wire to J20? Should Intelliflo3 data wire go to Filter/Spa relay instead?
4. Obviously, the Superflo RS-485 cable needs to move somewhere other than the Filter/Spa relay. Where does it go?

I appreciate any advice. I have an idea what I need to do, but would rather have a 2nd opinion before I move wire around. This stuff is rather pricey.

You need to connect the IntelliFlo3 RS-485 to your EasyTouch J20. You can connect at least 2 wires under one J20 screw.

You don't move your Superflow VS RS-485 cable.

You need to do the rest in the ET software configuration. Each pump has a pump address and you may need to change one of the pumps settings in its control panel. Then you tell the ET configuration which pump address is the IntelliFlo3 filter/pump and which pump address is the SuperFlo VS.

There is no reason for the Superflo Vs to be connected to the AUX2 relay. It can be connected directly to a CB and controlled by the ET RS-485 line.

You need to connect the IntelliFlo3 RS-485 to your EasyTouch J20. You can connect at least 2 wires under one J20 screw.

You don't move your Superflow VS RS-485 cable.

You need to do the rest in the ET software configuration. Each pump has a pump address and you may need to change one of the pumps settings in its control panel. Then you tell the ET configuration which pump address is the IntelliFlo3 filter/pump and which pump address is the SuperFlo VS.

There is no reason for the Superflo Vs to be connected to the AUX2 relay. It can be connected directly to a CB and controlled by the ET RS-485 line.
Ahh, that makes sense. I have noticed that the Superflo runs exactly as scheduled with the cable where it is.

So, it sounds like the only thing left to do is run a 2 wire cable from Data + and Data - on the Intelliflo3 to the corresponding ports on the J20, then configure on the app. Is that correct?

So, it sounds like the only thing left to do is run a 2 wire cable from Data + and Data - on the Intelliflo3 to the corresponding ports on the J20, then configure on the app. Is that correct?

Yes.

Configure in the EasyTouch SLConfig app. Not the IntelliFlo3 Pentair Home app.

The IntelliFlo3 should be pump address 1 and the Superflo VS pump address 2.

Awesome. Thanks a bundle for the quick reply.

The IntelliFlo3 should be pump address 1 and the Superflo VS pump address 2.

This needs to be set in the EasyTouch configuration.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ugh. I was all happy yesterday and patting myself on the back for getting both pumps wired up and running properly. I was even more impressed that I found all of the apps for the automation system and programmed everything to run when I wanted it to. This morning, I saw the waterfall running, and smiled as I remembered that freeze protect came on at 37 degrees. I nodded approvingly as it shut off at 38 degrees.

At noon, I looked out to see if the waterfall came on as scheduled. Nothing. It is getting electricity. But no signal. When I unplugged the RS-485 and turned off external control, the pump ran on its own program. I could change the speed as well. When I put it back under control of the PSL4, nothing happens. Yesterday, it turned on and off several times as I changed the schedule. It worked on freeze protect. But, something happened between 9 and 12.

Any thoughts? I did not have time to open the box and see if the RS-485 broke loose, but that also seems unlikely.

I've struggled with my PSL4 over the years. Seemingly doing everything right, but sometimes the EasyTouch (ET) just wouldn't work as expected. It sometimes wouldn't accept a schedule. Or sort'a misfire schedules. Things of that nature. As if it didn't quite forget deleted schedules, even though they wouldn't show up in the interface. And since you can only schedule four things with a PSL4, if one of the old schedules is "stuck," you won't be able to program all four.

I later upgraded my PSL4 to a full ET8, but still had weird little glitches. I finally caved in and after taking screen shots of all the screens (for later reference) I performed a factory reset of the ET. Then I reprogrammed it using the screenshots. And after that, all was well!

It's a drastic step, but if you feel you're doing everything correctly, and have followed @Jimrahbe's advice to the letter, and still have some "weirdness," you might try a full reset.

And if you find you're bumping up against the four-schedule limit, we can walk you through upgrading to an ET8.

PS. Jim is going to want to see a screenshot of your egg timer schedules in addition to the ones you posted.
Thanks for your anecdote. As I posted, I set several schedules yesterday to confirm that it was working.

Question: what are egg timer schedules, and where do I find them?

Question: what are egg timer schedules, and where do I find them?
I don't recognize that interface. Is that the app you referred to? I only know ScreenLogic, and the Egg Timers are right next to the Schedules, just on a different screen accessed with a button named "EGG TIMER." Perhaps another here knows where to find that on whatever it is you're using. Or try "Help" if that app offers any.

An Egg Timer is a type of schedule that gets initiated whenever you manually turn on a circuit. They don't affect your schedules. So say you set an Egg Timer for your fall, of 2 hours. If you schedule your fall for four hours, it'll run for four hours. But if you manually turn on your fall, it'll run for two hours (controlled by the Egg Timer). They're quite handy, but I could never make use of them with the PSL4, because each egg timer counts as one of the four allowed schedules, and I was using all four for running the pool and vac, etc. It wasn't until I upgraded to the full ET8, which allows 12 schedules and egg timers (total) that I was finally able to start using egg timers.

One of the (many) glitches of a PSL4 is that it will allow you to program more than four schedules, even though only four will work. It doesn't warn you when you're trying to schedule too many. So you'll think you've got something scheduled, and you can see if in the interface, but it won't actually work. That's why Jim is asking about egg timers. If you have one scheduled, it's possible that one of your regular schedules won't work, because you will have exceeded the four-schedule max.

Last edited:
Huh, my ScreenLogic doesn't look like that, though I mostly use SL on my computer, not my phone. On my iPad, the EGG TIMER button is right next to the SCHEDULE button, both on the SCHEDULE panel when viewing the "Pool / Spa" screen. And there is no scheduling done in my SLConfig, so we may be using different versions or using those two apps on different devices. Sorry, can't be of much help there.

I don't recognize that interface. Is that the app you referred to? I only know ScreenLogic, and the Egg Timers are right next to the Schedules, just on a different screen accessed with a button named "EGG TIMER." Perhaps another here knows where to find that on whatever it is you're using. Or try "Help" if that app offers any.

An Egg Timer is a type of schedule that gets initiated whenever you manually turn on a circuit. They don't affect your schedules. So say you set an Egg Timer for your fall, of 2 hours. If you schedule your fall for four hours, it'll run for four hours. But if you manually turn on your fall, it'll run for two hours (controlled by the Egg Timer). They're quite handy, but I could never make use of them with the PSL4, because each egg timer counts as one of the four allowed schedules, and I was using all four for running the pool and vac, etc. It wasn't until I upgraded to the full ET8, which allows 12 schedules and egg timers (total) that I was finally able to start using egg timers.

One of the (many) glitches of a PSL4 is that it will allow you to program more than four schedules, even though only four will work. It doesn't warn you when you're trying to schedule too many. So you'll think you've got something scheduled, and you can see if in the interface, but it won't actually work. That's why Jim is asking about egg timers. If you have one scheduled, it's possible that one of your regular schedules won't work, because you will have exceeded the four-schedule max.
It's possible that I have set an eg timer without knowing it, since I am unable to locate where they are. I'll continue looking.

EDIT: Hold on, I just found a completely new set of screens on the PC based ScreenLogic. Let me dig through that a bit.

Reactions: Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.