Conjunctive Use of Trichlor and Bleach

All your problems stem from your refusal to use a proper test kit. Whatever idea you have that makes you think trichlor and bleach are going to fix you issues will not work.

Powelowe—

I use both triclor and bleach and sometimes cal-hypo. It depends on what my water chemistry says. All summer we have had so much rain I have not had to fill my pool at all so backwashing removed a lot of calcium and CYA. To maintain Cl levels If CYA was low I added pucks. If Ca was low I added Cal hypo. If both were in normal range I used bleach. This seemed to work well. But the only way to fine tune is to have a very sensitive testing method. My test kit was a great solution!

I have the TF-100.

Thank you HiddenRiver.
Donaldson, as for your response, that was rather off-topic. I am not having any issues as of now, water is great aesthetically and chemically. I just wanted input as to whether anyone has used both disinfectants together.
The general consensus on TFP shows that a good test kit is needed, and I respect that. But there is absolutely no reason for you to bring that issue into this thread.

Proper testing is always on topic when it comes to a chemistry question. Be ready for it to be brought up any time you ask a question about anything water chemistry related, especially when you ask it in the Testing and Balancing forum. It is, after all, one of the most important things we teach here.

When your kit arrives, for the FAS-DPD tests, chlorine and combined chlorine, it would useful for your efforts to use the 10 mil sample size. You’ll use less reagents.

I actually have decided to go with the 2006C. I just hope that I will save $100 in a year or two to pay for it. Thanks for your help.

Please do not look at purchasing a quality test kit is all about savings. For most pool owners, the savings are there. This is because of the time exhausted traveling to the pool store (pool store results are usually incorrect), and the idea of walking out of pool store with chemicals that are usually not needed. In addition, frequent testing ensures that your pool stays clean, and you can spot potential problems that can occur.

Almost everyone I know that owns a pool and has problems (Which is almost all of them) usually stems from not self-testing their water from a quality test kit. These are the people who do not test at all, or use the "free" pool store testing. Congratulations on your new test kit, and you have made a wise choice.

I agree, a pool is not cheap. I just try to do my best to minimize operating costs.
I did not have an idea that trichlor and bleach would fix my problems, I just wanted to ask. I have very soft fill water and find my calcium tends to stay low, are there tablet out there that are made with calcium and not stabilizer? I know for some here that would not suffice because most people here seem to have hard fill water.

I use the pucks and liquid chlorine interchangeably and together. I use the tri-Chlor tablets for addition of stabilizer and sanitization, but throttle it back depending on needs of CYA. I usually pull the dispenser if I’m home for a while and solely balance with liquid Chlorine. It’s worked well for me. I have TFTestkits stuff and it keeps me on target as I monitor levels bi-to tri-daily. I would burn thru pucks and chlorine in our summers here, monitoring CYA along the way, and now that water is sub-70 degrees I usually keep one puck in the dispenser, replacing it as it dissolves, and add a gallon of chlorine every 10 days, and that seems to do the trick. When water temp rapidly drops 30 deg in 3 weeks time during our season change is when I see pools then turn green due to high CYA and low chlorine. I pull all stabilizer products for a while the last week in September until about this time, and my CYA settles from 50 to 30 and then put the single tablet in, but that’s just unique to my pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
are there tablet out there that are made with calcium and not stabilizer?

Yes, Cal-Hypo. I believe it is only available in the powdered form, not the tablets. This will raise your calcium and add chlorine as well. Use pool math or read the label instructions on each packet. The thing about the powder is that there is a slight discrepancy between what the manufacturer states and pool math states on how much chlorine and calcium is added per a 10,000 gallon pool, but it is very close.

I just try to do my best to minimize operating costs.

Exactly! This is what the forum is all about. Self willingness to learn and only add to the pool what is necessary. The only way to do this is with a test kit. The reason why a kit was recommended or suggested is because you are in the "Testing and Balancing" section. I guess if you were in the "Getting Started" section, the responses would have been geared to what each chemical does, the advantages and disadvantages.

Neither here nor there, a test kit is "mandatory" in taking care of a pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.