Are you seeing any appreciable rise in filter pressure to indicate that your filter is removing particles? Having to backwash the filter at all? Good flow from return(s)?

I realize you are using the same water as last year, but has the well water been tested for metals recently? Even a pool store test for metals, though likely not all that accurate, would be a start. I have a well on my property as well as municipal and I have it tested every other year for metals and other contaminants. Most laboratories will do what is usually called a water suitability test for <$50 which will give you accurate results on metals as well. I'd do that if there is any indication of metals from a pool store test. Example: Water Analysis Price List Metals would not easily explain the cloudiness, only the coloration. Cloudiness points to a filtration/flow issue.

Are you seeing any appreciable rise in filter pressure to indicate that your filter is removing particles? Having to backwash the filter at all? Good flow from return(s)?

I realize you are using the same water as last year, but has the well water been tested for metals recently? Even a pool store test for metals, though likely not all that accurate, would be a start. I have a well on my property as well as municipal and I have it tested every other year for metals and other contaminants. Most laboratories will do what is usually called a water suitability test for <$50 which will give you accurate results on metals as well. I'd do that if there is any indication of metals from a pool store test. Example: Water Analysis Price List Metals would not easily explain the cloudiness, only the coloration. Cloudiness points to a filtration/flow issue.

The first few times vacuuming I would have to backwash but now I can vacuum a couple times before I will see and substantial rise in pressure. Have good flow from the return. I opened the filter and gave it a deep clean tonight and saw a bit better flow. I will have my wife get a water test done for metals tomorrow. If there is a substantial amount of metals in there what are my options. Want to inform the wife before the pool store try's to fast talk her

Though you don't have stains (that you can see) this article describes metal problems and how to deal with them. Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains Many times, replacing all the water can be the cheapest option if metals are confirmed in the fill water. Might mean trucking in municipal water via a local fire department or water service. The pool store will indeed try to fast talk into all sorts of metals treatments but simply walking out with the test results must be done.

When you say substantial rise what are we talking about? What's your "clean" pressure versus when it has risen? Just trying to be specific, not "nit picking."

Morning test FC 24 CC.5 Had to backwash again. Other than that no change

Edit: Just took a sample to the pool store. Wow Ill list their numbers and mine for comparison

Pool Store
Alkalinity 120
CH 170
CYA 10
pH 6.6
FC1.41
Copper.08
Iron.03

Tests with the TF100
Alk 120 Same as pool store!
CH 400
CYA 50-55
pH 7.4 at the start of SLAM and nothing added to bring it down from their
FC 24 as of 6:30 this morning

And of course they tried to sell a ton of stuff. Didnt work.

Now if those levels of copper and iron are accurate would that be part of the reason Im struggling to clear this monster up?

Those metals levels are not concerning. Copper is a concern at 0.2 ppm or even slightly less. Iron is nearly the same at about 0.3 ppm to be a concern from what I recall.

I'd say you just need to forge ahead with keeping up the FC. Brushing and/or running your pool cleaner as much as possible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thursday morning update. Saw a huge improvement from last night. Bumped up to a slam of 30 yesterday afternoon. Saw an almost 10FC loss by 8:30 last night. Bumped back up to 30. Lost another 10 overnight but color and clarity improved a ton. I'm tickled pink to go from nothing for a week to where it's at now in 3 days

When you say FC is at 30, you are counting 60 drops with the water at the 10 mark on the container right? Water at the 10, one scoop of powder, adding drop by drop swirling between each one? Sounds like you're on the right track. This whole thread just confused me.....lol

When you say FC is at 30, you are counting 60 drops with the water at the 10 mark on the container right? Water at the 10, one scoop of powder, adding drop by drop swirling between each one? Sounds like you're on the right track. This whole thread just confused me.....lol

Yes that's exactly right. Short version two weeks ago tomorrow started the slam after bringing pH down to 7.4 and adding stabilizer to bring it up to 40. Started to slam at a FC of 16 going by the CYA /chlorine chart. For a week there was not a single change. Very little chlorine loss. Finally after a week I bumped the FC up to 20. Still no change after a couple days. Then bumped to 24 and started to see a slight change. This past weekend wife said "make progress or draining". So went nuclear and raised FC to 30 this past Monday. Since then been seeing better results every day

Well when I opened the pool the CYA was 0. So used pool math to find out how much to add to get me to 40. I must be off a little on how many gallons my pool is. But with the tests done since have been between 45 and 55. With all the backwashing I've been adding water almost daily so it should come down a little

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.