Not to get off topic, but how does a tree cause you to need to SLAM?

The tree overhangs the pool. Last fall we had funky weather that caused the pool to freeze over before the leaves dropped. Aster the leaves dropped we had a warm spell that let the ice on the pool melt. Leaves sunk to the bottom and the pool froze over before I could scoop them out. Once it thawed for good this spring the water was a nasty black. Scooped as much as I could out with a leaf net. Water went from black to the green in the pics posted.

The tree overhangs the pool. Last fall we had funky weather that caused the pool to freeze over before the leaves dropped. Aster the leaves dropped we had a warm spell that let the ice on the pool melt. Leaves sunk to the bottom and the pool froze over before I could scoop them out. Once it thawed for good this spring the water was a nasty black. Scooped as much as I could out with a leaf net. Water went from black to the green in the pics posted.

Gotcha, I thought you were meaning that tree debris caused an algae bloom. I didn't think leaves could do that, other than consume a little of your chlorine.

Getting a little frustrated. 0 FC loss at all yesterday. Only down to 14 this morning from SLAM level of 16. Today marks a week at SLAM level with vacuuming and kinda brushing daily and not seeing one bit of progress. Test results as of last night are

FC 16
pH 7.4 That was just before the SLAM started. Havent checked since
TA 120
CH 400
CYA 40

What am I missing? My wife is to the point of just draining scrubbing it and refilling.

Getting a little frustrated. 0 FC loss at all yesterday. Only down to 14 this morning from SLAM level of 16. Today marks a week at SLAM level with vacuuming and kinda brushing daily and not seeing one bit of progress. Test results as of last night are

FC 16
pH 7.4 That was just before the SLAM started. Havent checked since
TA 120
CH 400
CYA 40

What am I missing? My wife is to the point of just draining scrubbing it and refilling.
Is it still cloudy, or just green?

Cloudy might be helped by adding a little DE to the sand filter. It's like setting window screen on top of chicken wire on a microscopic level.

Clear but green could be copper from some algaecide someone added in the past

Is it still cloudy, or just green?

Cloudy might be helped by adding a little DE to the sand filter. It's like setting window screen on top of chicken wire on a microscopic level.

Clear but green could be copper from some algaecide someone added in the past

Green and cloudy. I thought about copper before but then I would think it would have affected it last year also. No other chemicals have been added beside bleach and muriatic acid since it was set up and filled last spring.

Can you share a few pictures of where it is right now? I think that will help us to figure it out.

Based on your FC loss overnight, I don't think you've completed your SLAM yet. A fresh CYA measurement would be good as well please. Make sure you test CYA in full sunlight, with your back to the sun and the tube held in the shade of your body at waist level.

Thanks.

Can you share a few pictures of where it is right now? I think that will help us to figure it out.

Based on your FC loss overnight, I don't think you've completed your SLAM yet. A fresh CYA measurement would be good as well please. Make sure you test CYA in full sunlight, with your back to the sun and the tube held in the shade of your body at waist level.

Thanks.

I will get more pics tonight. That is the frustrating thing is I know im nowhere near done with the SLAM but Im also not seeing any progress either. After seeing SLAM thread after SLAM thread here where people are seeing a difference after the first day then me fighting this for a week with zero change is making me think Im doing something wrong.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Think I figured out my issue. When I started the SLAM the CYA was 0. Added enough powered CYA in a sock in the skimmer to bring me up to 40. That is what I've been basing my slam off from. Just checked it today and it read 50 3 times. So going to SLAM at 20and see what happens

Evening update FC was 16. Deep cleaned the filter and had to add another 50 lbs of sand. Somewhere I lost a bag of sand between the second half of last summer and this spring. Also color is getting darker. The wife has put her foot down. I have till Friday to see some progress or we are going to drain clean and refill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.