Confused water testing

Chief2505

Silver Supporter
Jul 7, 2022
West TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I purchased the Taylor K2006C kit and went to use it today but it appears as if I might be missing some chemicals. In the instructions for testing free chlorine it talks about drops of R0001 & R0002 but I do not have any bottles with those numbers on them. Am I missing something or did I purchase the incorrect kit?
My initial test with this kit has these results

CYA probably around 175 or so, it only took about a 1/2" of water in the tube for the black dot to disappear. I will need to dilute my water sample down and retest then do some math to determine what my CYA really is, I already drained about 10,000 gallons out of the pool and replaced with fresh water. At least according to my water bill!
TA 80
PH 7.2
FC 10
CC 2.5
Like I said, this is my first time using this kit so it is possible that I did a test or two incorrectly but I do not believe I did.
I manually brushed (with the new whale tale and WOW!) and manually vac'd (Nautilius CC Plus Died) into my new cartridge filter system. The water sparkles and has no smell and I swam today and it feels good too. I know the CYA is too high and I know I use tablets but I am not here fulltime to add Liquid every day so I must for now, fight the CYA problem

Thanks for any input!

I purchased the Taylor K2006C kit and went to use it today but it appears as if I might be missing some chemicals. In the instructions for testing free chlorine it talks about drops of R0001 & R0002 but I do not have any bottles with those numbers on them. Am I missing something or did I purchase the incorrect kit?
My initial test with this kit has these results

CYA probably around 175 or so, it only took about a 1/2" of water in the tube for the black dot to disappear. I will need to dilute my water sample down and retest then do some math to determine what my CYA really is, I already drained about 10,000 gallons out of the pool and replaced with fresh water. At least according to my water bill!
TA 80
PH 7.2
FC 10
CC 2.5
Like I said, this is my first time using this kit so it is possible that I did a test or two incorrectly but I do not believe I did.
I manually brushed (with the new whale tale and WOW!) and manually vac'd (Nautilius CC Plus Died) into my new cartridge filter system. The water sparkles and has no smell and I swam today and it feels good too. I know the CYA is too high and I know I use tablets but I am not here fulltime to add Liquid every day so I must for now, fight the CYA problem

Thanks for any input!
The trouble you’re going to have with the CYA as it builds up is that it takes more chlorine to keep it sanitary. You are skirting with the bare minimum right now with your FC at 10ppm. On top of that, the pH test is invalid when the FC is 10 or above (probably not that far off at 10).

You might consider a salt water chlorine generator if you can’t switch to unstablized chlorine.

The Taylor k2006 instructions have both the DPD and FAS-DPD. You can ignore the DPD instructions and stick with FAS-DPD.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.