Confused over the best SWG for my pool

Jul 12, 2011
Well after several years on the TFP method I have decided that it is time to make the jump to a SWG. I have done a ton of research and am just confused on the right system for me. I have a 29,000 gallon in ground pool. My local pool company sells and installs the Hayward system and is trying to sell me the Hayward T-15 system plus installation.

After reading a ton of threads I know that it is recommended that I get a SWG that is approximately double the size of my pool. Unfortunately that appears to really limit the SWG's available to me. I know that the Pentair IC60 is rated for 60,000 gallons. The Hayward T-15 is rated for a 40,000 gallon pool but do you think this is really big enough for me?

Thanks in advance for you help !!

Good job on doing some research on a SWCG!

Your signature shows a 35000 gallon pool -- or is it 29000 gallon as you say.

Where do you live -- please put that in your signature. Makes some difference on your SWCG size.

Are you willing to run your single speed pump 18+ hours per day? What is the cost of your electricity?

Let us know some of that information and we can provide better guidance.

Take care.

Cirrcuppol RJ60, Cirrcupool SJ55 or Pentair IC60. The first two I mentioned both make more chlorine than the third. I had this same decision to make with a rather larger pool. As you can see, I chose the Circupool SJ55. Your other option would be two smaller units. Also, your location will make a difference.

btw... I need to run my pump and SWG about 12 hours a day at 100 percent to make enough chlorine in the Texas summer heat.

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated. Pool is 29,000 gallon and is located in Wilmington, Delaware. Typically I run my pump about 9 hours per day. I will try and get my current k/w rate from my electric company and report back.

Pool is 29,000 gallon and is located in Wilmington, Delaware. Typically I run my pump about 9 hours per day.

Thanks. Please update your signature with the proper volume for your pool.

No matter what you pick, you will need to run your pump more hours during the middle of summer.

Take care.

Cirrcuppol RJ60, Cirrcupool SJ55 or Pentair IC60. The first two I mentioned both make more chlorine than the third. I had this same decision to make with a rather larger pool. As you can see, I chose the Circupool SJ55. Your other option would be two smaller units. Also, your location will make a difference.

btw... I need to run my pump and SWG about 12 hours a day at 100 percent to make enough chlorine in the Texas summer heat.

BP,

Thanks for the feedback on the RJ60 and SJ55... I had "assumed" wrongly that all 60K rated units produced about[ /U] the same amount of FC per day... Looking at the RJ60 it produces 3.1 lbs. a day, vs. the Pentair IC60 with only produces 2.0 lbs. per day. That is a huge difference...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Pat - I'll give you a data point for a similar location (MD) and in full sun. My pool is 27K gallons so quite close in size also. I have a T-15 cell. This summer during the peak heat, pool not covered (though I do have an autocover), low usage for the size, I was running the pump for 10 hours per day (personal preference) at a SWCG setting of 50% (or was it 55%?) to keep my FC at a stable level. I keep my CYA in the 70-80 range. That gave me a daily FC usage of a bit under 1.5 PPM per day which is on the low side but probably about right for a sparkly pool and CYA of 80.

So what I'm suggesting is that the T-15 will be quite adequate for your location. So if you choose to go with Hayward, you will have no trouble with that size. As you move further south, have higher usage, have more debris, maintain lower CYA, the 1.5 to 2x rating suggestion is of greater importance. Close to 1.5x in MD/DE is fine.

Hi Pat - I'll give you a data point for a similar location (MD) and in full sun. My pool is 27K gallons so quite close in size also. I have a T-15 cell. This summer during the peak heat, pool not covered (though I do have an autocover), low usage for the size, I was running the pump for 10 hours per day (personal preference) at a SWCG setting of 50% (or was it 55%?) to keep my FC at a stable level. I keep my CYA in the 70-80 range. That gave me a daily FC usage of a bit under 1.5 PPM per day which is on the low side but probably about right for a sparkly pool and CYA of 80.

So what I'm suggesting is that the T-15 will be quite adequate for your location. So if you choose to go with Hayward, you will have no trouble with that size. As you move further south, have higher usage, have more debris, maintain lower CYA, the 1.5 to 2x rating suggestion is of greater importance. Close to 1.5x in MD/DE is fine.

Thats great to know !!!!! Thanks for the info. Based on that I might re-think the Hayward T-15 as my local pool company sells it exclusively and is recommending it for an install. I typically run my filter about 10 hours a day and would probably bump my CYA up to 70 or so. I keep it at around 40 now.

Jim,

i thought the same until I started digging. My pool, with numerous crepe myrtle trees over it, has always been a chlorine hog. I sometimes wish those trees were on my side of the fence so that I could do something about it.

Bryan

Don't know about Texas, but in Alabama if your neighbor's tree are extending over the property line into your yard, you have the right to trim them. It's a good idea to get permission in writing before you do so, then everything is covered legally.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Something to consider... Do you ever plan on putting in an automation system? If so, you may want to plan around that. I know some brands play nicely with others and some don't.
Personally I have the pentair IC40, only because when I bought the house I converted to salt immediately and that's all the pool store sold. I have no regrets about the pentair system, and would probably put in a pentair automation system one day. Only complaint, if you can call it that, is that the cell isn't see through, so you can't actually see it perform, but it's not like I'm sitting there watching it either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.